StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After owning the bike for a year, I got on it to take a ride the other day and the clutch lever suddenly seemed very loose.
Is this normal? I don't remember it doing that before, but it doesn't seem like anything is amiss. I checked the end play and it's in specs.

·
Registered
894 Posts
If the clutch lever suddenly feels different it may mean that the clutch cable is worn and should be examined for replacement. Sometime the normal wear just makes it feel different.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Some up/down play is normal. If it bothers you, you could add some nylon washers.

If the clutch free play when pulled changed all of the sudden, it might indicate that the cable only has a few strands left and is about to snap - but that's the other axis from what you're showing here.

My own clutch had a ton of up/down play from wear, and I used a pair of visegrips to narrow the perch opening. Unless you put on a lot of city miles, it's probably not going to be your issue.

·
Registered
693 Posts
The fact that it "suddenly changed" are the key words here. Gradual would be normal.
I would examine the lever and cable end closely. The other end of the clutch cable
is visible just above the rear portion of the left engine case cover. Or above the area of
the left foot peg for reference .

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Yep, yer cable's about to go.

Order up a new one from Suzuki; the aftermarket versions are crap.

Might want to replace the lever too. Again, OEM Suzuki is ten times the quality at only a modest premium.

·
Registered
2020 650 Vstrom Adventure
60 Posts
No disrespect here but I presume it has always been like that and you've just noticed it now.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don’t think it’s the cable, the bike only has about 5500 miles on it. I took the knuckle guard off and didn’t see anything amiss. That’s when I checked the free play on the lever. It rides fine, I just don’t remember it feeling like it does now.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No disrespect here but I presume it has always been like that and you've just noticed it now.
that’s the conclusion I’m coming to. I haven’t ridden it in over a month.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The fact that it "suddenly changed" are the key words here. Gradual would be normal.
I would examine the lever and cable end closely. The other end of the clutch cable
is visible just above the rear portion of the left engine case cover. Or above the area of
the left foot peg for reference .
Not sure it suddenly changed or I just noticed it. I have been riding the bikes with hydraulic clutch mechanisms and they have no play.

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
Unless I am seeing it wrong in the video, it looks like the free play you are referring to is in the vertical axis. That is not the cable. If it was the cable, the movement would be when you pulled the clutch lever in toward the grip (horizontal axis). Excessive slack there can be adjusted to where it should be (about 5mm). If you can't adjust that out, then the cable should be replaced.
With only 5500 kms, I would bet what you are seeing is normal. Mine moves about the same in the vertical axis. Check to make sure that the pivot pin is tightened up to spec.

Rule of thumb.....a loose clutch is better than one that is too tight. Too tight can lead to incomplete engagement and burning.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Unless I am seeing it wrong in the video, it looks like the free play you are referring to is in the vertical axis. That is not the cable. If it was the cable, the movement would be when you pulled the clutch lever in toward the grip (horizontal axis). Excessive slack there can be adjusted to where it should be (about 5mm). If you can't adjust that out, then the cable should be replaced.
With only 5500 kms, I would bet what you are seeing is normal. Mine moves about the same in the vertical axis. Check to make sure that the pivot pin is tightened up to spec.

Rule of thumb.....a loose clutch is better than one that is too tight. Too tight can lead to incomplete engagement and burning.
Thanks I, checked the cable play the right way up by the pivot. I've bee adjusting bike clutch cables since 1970, I've just gotten used to riding bikes with hydraulic clutches and those levers don't move at all. It's the up and down movement that I don't remember being like that.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
My V2 (hydraulic) clutch lever had at least as much play, but it has 50k of use. Regardless make sure the lever pivot and the nipple pivot are well lubed and all will be fine. I would disassemble the lever bolt and see if there is unusual wear or if its just a bit more tolerance then one would expect. And then re-assemble with a good dose of lube.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I had two clutch cables break on my first bike. Ever since, I've carried a spare coiled in my side bag when I had bags, or zip-tied to the frame parallel to the existing cable.

·
Registered
15,606 Posts
My 04 Wee with 100K miles has up/down slop and I've replaced the mount before. The 05 Wee doesn't have any slop at 34K miles.
Hey, at least it's not binding!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Looks fine to me.. my 2012 has had similar play for many years, now near 80,000 km

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had the same issue with vertical play. I think I just noticed it, because I had never intentionally moved it north and south, but did it by accident one day. Concerned me enough that I looked to see if anything needed tightened - Nada. I have to assume it has always been there for the past 3 years.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts