StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After tons of tire research on the forum, I replaced the stock trailwings with Shink 705s. They grip and perform well but I hate the vibration! The vibrations from 15 to 45 mph (and when braking) are really bothering me. I was expecting a much smoother ride. These tires vibrate more than the knobbies on my dirt bike!

I have a few weeks and about 300 miles on them now.
When will they smooth out? Will they ever smooth out?

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I had one delaminates on me, but they never vibrated. Rebalance them, or maybe you just have an out of round tire, it happens.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
They smooth out nicely as soon as they hit the bottom of the dumpster.

·
Registered
189 Posts
My shinko's have never smoothed out.
They are:
Great on gravel roads,
Tons of grip on pavement to scrape pegs.
Perfectly fine in the rain.
Good mileage for the money.

But.......

I will be replacing mine this year. The vibrations are finally getting to me.
Lots of long trips on slab will do that.

Next tire will be Anakee 3 or PR3

·
Banned
1,933 Posts
bad news, the howl never goes away, it only gets louder.

I've run five Shinko 705's on the rear, and three on the front. The rear isn't that noisy, and they lasted an average of 6500 mi. Out of the five tires I tried one had the delamination problem, so I switched to Shinko 712 for the rear.

The news for the front is.... mixed. Of the three tires all three had good mileage- about 20k. And the front tires had no delamination issues. But all three also exhibited strange behavior as they wore. After about 12k the front tire starts to square off, leaving plenty of tread but strange driving dynamics. The bike starts to resist lean-in, forcing a much stronger response on the handlebars before they start to turn. It's nothing dangerous, but it's quite odd to have the bike fight you in turns.

Even worse, as the front tire begins to square off the road noise increases dramatically until it become a loud howl that is noticeable even through ear plugs. These are the loudest tires I have ever run!

So basically, although I love the price and the look of the 705's, I'm done with them. The 712 has been a good rear so far but unfortunately Shinko doesn't make the right size front tire in the 712 model so I'll have to find something else.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To anyone suggesting rebalance / out of round, etc. that is not the issue.
These tires are brand new and balanced. In fact, the front still has lots of casting nubs on it. They're just not smooth like a 100% street tire would be.

It's those big grooves in the tread design. Every time the tire rolls over the groove, it transfers a vibe up through the bike. Things smooth out after 50mph but at lowers speeds it's very pronounced. My worn out Trailwings were smooth as silk. Did someone mount a sand paddle on here and I didn't notice?

Surely I can't be the first to notice (complain about) this. I'm just wondering if this will go away after I wear them down or do I have to live with it for the next 10K+ miles. :confused:

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Vibration is very subjective. What gets to some people may not get to others. I knew the tires were going to be vibey. Just looking at the tread design you can see it would generate some noise and vibes.

I've gotten used to it. It's one of the best all around tires I've used so far at a killer price.

In my experience it doesn't get any better over time. But as I said I still run them. It's an adventure bike on a dual sportish tire. It's not going to always be smooth.

·
Registered
15,540 Posts
I thought it was just me that thought the front felt funny when I first put it on. Takes more effort to get into the turns but stays where I put it. They do have a bumpy stopping effect, must be the tread. If I can get the mileage posted above, I'd be happy.
My Tourance didn't last 6500 miles and the one rear cost more than the set of 705's.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I put a set of 705's on my 03V a few weeks ago (I used balance beads). They are certainly "buzzier" than the wore out battle wings I took off. I put a straight edge against them as I rotated them and found the back one to be a little out of round. I would like to have a quieter tire but for 170 bucks for the set, I can live with it.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I thought it was just me that thought the front felt funny when I first put it on. Takes more effort to get into the turns but stays where I put it. They do have a bumpy stopping effect, must be the tread. If I can get the mileage posted above, I'd be happy.
My Tourance didn't last 6500 miles and the one rear cost more than the set of 705's.
I get between 8 and 10 k out of a rear depending on how heavy I'm loaded down and what not. The front I have on now must have around 12 or more thousand miles on it. It still has plenty of tread but has cupping right now. I ordered a new set because I'll have to put new tires on in the next month or so and will b replacing the front a the same time.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I was just at a local shop and he had a lot of shinkos on his racks. I asked him if he liked them and how they've been selling them. He said that of the thousands he's sold only a few have been out of round or delaminateed. He also said that the supplier stands behinds them and always warranties them no questions asked. He said it's the only tires he runs on his bike because you can't beat them for the price. I've been considering the 705s for my next set...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I compare them to an aggressive All terrain tread for a truck/4X4. Not nearly as smooth as a street tire , but give you more grip in the event that you actually leave the asphalt. The payoff is noise and a little "walk" at a slow pace , the same characteristics AT tire gives a vehicle. Not for everyone.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
So you don't like them, buy something else. Plenty of bike tires are terrible for my purposes and I've swapped them out early.

To anyone suggesting rebalance / out of round, etc. that is not the issue.
These tires are brand new and balanced. In fact, the front still has lots of casting nubs on it. They're just not smooth like a 100% street tire would be.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
check the rotation arrows - if they were accidentally mounted 'backwards' you would likely get a louder buzz than normal.

My Fullbore tires (same as shinko cept for slightly more open tread), also send a tiny bit of tire buzz thru the bike. I don't mind it, since they work so well on dirt roads and such. I do wear earplugs too, so perhaps you might too!

·
Administrator
17,395 Posts
Tread pattern plain and simple, my Dunlop Trailmax also do exactly as you describe.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
My experience with the 705's is mixed. The rears have been great and performed flawlessly. The fronts were slightly noisy and exhibited a slightly harder turn in when new, as expected. However both the noise and turn in increased significantly in time to the point where after two 705 fronts I have now gone to a front street PR 4 for the time being. The cupping on both was quite excessive and just kept growing as I played with pressures from 33 to 41.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
The cupping on both was quite excessive and just kept growing as I played with pressures from 33 to 41.
Let me know how you like those PR4's. Someday when we can finally dig out from winter I hope to replace my Anakees with PR's.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts