StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2013 DL650A
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - I had just replaced the broken radiator hose and backfilled with distilled water on my stolen but recovered 2013. However, I can't start the engine because it appears that the thieve(s) had taken the tip over sensor in addition to sidestand relay and battery. Should I drain the system or can I leave it like this until the new part arrives?

·
Registered
2011 650 V-Strom with ABS
880 Posts
My scientific wild guess is you won't have any trouble for a few weeks.

You were using it to flush out the system?

Nothing wrong with draining it now and doing another and better flush later when you get it running.

hth,

·
Registered
2013 DL650A
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aye, I'd lost some coolant through the cracked hose and decided to flush before refilling with non-Toyota Asian engine Peak. It was what they had at Autozone.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
I would suggest, it may be best to leave the coolant as is, until you are ready to run the bike (once new parts installed). My concern with the idea of draining the cooling system and leaving until parts arrive, is in the excitemnet to see whether the new parts solve the starting problem, one may easily forget / over look the lack of coolant in the cooling system. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
2013 DL650A
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would suggest, it may be best to leave the coolant as is, until you are ready to run the bike (once new parts installed). My concern with the idea of draining the cooling system and leaving until parts arrive, is in the excitemnet to see whether the new parts solve the starting problem, one may easily forget / over look the lack of coolant in the cooling system. Better safe than sorry.
Sound advice. I'll try to rig up the resistor-diode array from an old V1000 post and see if I can get it running long enough to finish the coolant change. New TOS should arrive next week.

·
Registered
2013 DL650A
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Success! I crimped up the circuit MSI1259 described back in 2007 (bypassing the tip over sensor) plugged it in and it started right up. For safety purposes I won't attempt to ride with it like this, since I wouldn't trust that it doesn't fall out/apart if I were to hit a bad bump, thus stopping the engine unexpectedly. But, it will let me get the coolant sorted out. Replacement seat looks like it's just arriving now.

·
Administrator
14,362 Posts
I'd avoid running the engine any more than you have to with the distilled water as the coolant has lube in it to protect the water pump and corrosion inhibitors to help prevent corrosion.

..Tom

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
For years race cars and bikes only ran water in their cooling systems.

If they crash and spill the fluid it's not slippery like coolant making the track safer for other users.

·
Administrator
14,362 Posts

If they crash and spill the fluid it's not slippery like coolant making the track safer for other users.
Yes and if you take your bike to a track day they generally ask to remove the coolant an replace with water for the reasons you state.

Coolant has anti-corrosion additives in it and the slipperiness helps lube the water pump. In the long run using just distilled water can lead to corrosion in the engine.

..Tom

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Totally agree, I was just pointing out that there was no rush to put the coolant in.

Corrosion in a alloy motor is very good reasons to keep your coolant fresh but you don't have to leave the bike parked at home just because you don't have coolant.

Reactions: V-Tom

·
Registered
2013 DL650A
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I flushed twice with distilled water and refilled with coolant Thursday night. Yesterday I took it out for a short spin. It seems to be fine, although the seat feels a LOT looser than it used to. I don't remember it being rattley-loose before. The cushions do all make contact with the frame or tank as appropriate, but the hooks don't seem to engage entirely at the tank or under the frame. I might try to take the tank cushions off and see if it sits a bit further forward.

Thanks again to everyone for the well wishes and advice.

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
8,349 Posts
I always have difficulty with the front hooks when I fit my seat. Seem correctly fitted, but are often not.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts

I used to track a GSXR600. There's a product called Water Wetter that you add to distilled water to keep the water pumped lubed for racing so a crash doesn't spill slippery coolant on the racetrack.

Reactions: V-Tom
1 - 20 of 22 Posts