StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a Garmin 60CSX, a standard-sized Ram mount and Touratech wiring kit. I think I want to run the wire towards the right-hand grip and point the RAM so it is in the neighborhood of that mirror.

Does anyone have a different way of mounting that has worked well?

Thanks,

Brad

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
I have mine mounted on the bars with the Ram mount so the unit sits just to the left of the speedo. I don't have a wiring kit, so I just carry a few extra batteries in my tank bag.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Wouldn't you want to mount it on the left side? So you can access it without taking your hands off the throttle?
That's how I have my Lowrance GPS mounted on my DR650 and it works well. (My Garmin 2610 is on a dashboard centered above my instruments on the Strom)

BooneDog

2004 DL1000 V-Strom
1999 Triumph Speed Triple
2001 Suzuki DR650
www.hbw-usa.com

·
Registered
109 Posts
Maybe a bit off topic, but here's where I mounted my Tomtom. I used the bracket supplied and wired it up to the heated grip connector using the horn pigtail from Suzuki. I do have to look down a bit to see it but hey who looks at the GPS all day anyway. The instruments aren't obstructed at all.

See this thread - http://www.stromtrooper.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7156

and this pic -

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I'm using this bracket from twistedthrottle.

It mounts like this. I've used it with my 2610 and Zumo.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I'm using this bracket from twistedthrottle.

It mounts like this. I've used it with my 2610 and Zumo.
How do like the bracket when you used the 2610? Is it easy to see and reach in that location? I was thinking of getting a 2730, and this mount. Road the bike a short distance yesterday and verified that it would not block my roadview there, just want to make sure it is functional otherwise.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
How do like the bracket when you used the 2610? Is it easy to see and reach in that location? I was thinking of getting a 2730, and this mount. Road the bike a short distance yesterday and verified that it would not block my roadview there, just want to make sure it is functional otherwise.
It's the best position for being able to glance at the screen without moving your head, especially compared to handlebar mount, which I've also tried.

The only time I reach for it when I'm riding is to hit the "speak" button, which shows the next turn.

The mount is stable on most roads -- doesn't shake much.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
It's the best position for being able to glance at the screen without moving your head, especially compared to handlebar mount, which I've also tried.

The only time I reach for it when I'm riding is to hit the "speak" button, which shows the next turn.

The mount is stable on most roads -- doesn't shake much.
I agree. I hated having mine mounted on the handlebars. I've got it mounted on a radar shelf beneath the screen now, and only have to glance down to see it. Since it's right over the instruments it doesn't block my view or anything. My mount does vibrate some though, and I may look into TMcGee's mounting bracket.

(click the image above for a larger view)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Rather inelegent, but hey, it works.

- Tom

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
My mount does vibrate some though, and I may look into TMcGee's mounting bracket.
It's not rock-solid stable, Scott, but it's okay if the roads are halfway decent.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
It's not rock-solid stable, Scott, but it's okay if the roads are halfway decent.
In that case it's probably similar to what I've already got ;)

The radar shelf isn't supported in the middle, only on the ends, so there is some inherent vibration because of that. I stuck a piece of hard rubber (a shock absorber bushing) between it and the instrument panel and that helped a lot. I've also got rubber grommets in the dash shelf and that helped. About the only time I notice any vibrations is on rough pavement or concrete with bad joints. Off road? Never been there and don't intend to go ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wouldn't you want to mount it on the left side? So you can access it without taking your hands off the throttle?
I'm not the most coordinated guy you'll ever meet. I'm right handed and I figure I'll pull over and fiddle with it right-handed. At least that's what I do now.

I love the look of the dash mount. Is it fairly easy to reach or a bit of a stretch? It would be nice if the manufacturers provided handlebar remotes...

Actually Touratech made one but it's not compatible with my GPS.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
It would be nice if the manufacturers provided handlebar remotes...
The Garmin 2820 comes with a remote, but I'd hate to have to try and hit those little TV-remote-sized buttons on a bike ;) To be honest I really don't know what good it is unless you are in a stretch limo trying to tell the driver where to go.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Here is how my cockpit looks like. Garmin SP 2720 on the left, Sirius radio in the middle, CB and cruise control on the right.

Wingman

Attachments

·
Registered
646 Posts
Ok, my GPS is probably older than some of you, but it works for me. Garmin GPS 12 with a Garmin bicycle handlebar mount.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Ok, my GPS is probably older than some of you, but it works for me. Garmin GPS 12 with a Garmin bicycle handlebar mount.
Mine was a very early one and doesn't even have a base map, does yours? I still have it, and originally used it in conjunction with a lapdog and Street Atlas.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Mine was a very early one and doesn't even have a base map, does yours? I still have it, and originally used it in conjunction with a lapdog and Street Atlas.
No map, just use it for time, milage, speed, etc...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Garmin GPSMap 60CS mounted using the Garmin handlebar mount just between the handlebar mounting bolts. No power connected to it ; just change batteries about one a week....(actuualy use rechargables).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts