Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 DL650 with roughly 53K miles on it, I am getting about 46.5 MPG on highway runs, going about 70-80 indicated, windy outside (it always seems to be windy when I take the bike on a ride that is 2 hours or longer, it's windy where I live) also there is a small amount of in town, but only a small percentage of the trip is in town, it's about 95% highway.

I was wondering if there is anything I can do on an older bike to improve the MPG or if this is just normal for this year of bike. I don't think I have ever gotten any better then about 45-46 MPG. My driving style is "medium", I try and go the speed limit.

I don't think I have ever gotten any better then about 45-46 MPG.

·
Registered
806 Posts
That sounds about right. I had a 2007 Wee and got about the same gas mileage. My situation was reversed though, all twisties and little freeway and got mid-40's pretty consistently but I was not shy about using the throttle. I sold it and bought a 2014 Wee and was expecting slightly higher gas mileage but that never happened, still mid-40's.

In your case you are fighting the wind and from what I've read once you get over 70mph on the Wee the gas mileage drops and the oil use goes up. Unless you have side cases or other stuff sticking into the air flow that you can remove there isn't much you can do other than slow down and ride like a grandma but then... what's the point?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a 2007 650 (14000 miles), my rides are mostly shorter trips, primarily commuting and like to get “up to speed” as quickly as I can all the time because this bike is fun to rev and shift. 14t front factory rear sprockets. Anakee 3s 34f/36r, I get 46-48mpg pretty much no matter how I ride. I tried a tank for max mpg, just cruising lots of steady 40-55mph, but usually I’m making my commute fun, my mileage doesn’t seem to change very much ripping the bike between stoplights back and fourth to work or just cruising along. I don’t spend much time over 65, no slab for me really.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
It must be riding style and where you're riding. My typical riding is in rural areas, no stop & go traffic, usually cruising around 4K RPM. In the summer I'll get between 65-70 MPG, in cooler weather 60-65 MPG, rarely get below 60 MPG. I have an '09, 80K miles, I check mileage on every fill up, so 100's of times.

My old Harley sat for 2 years and after getting it back on the road mileage was down about 30%. Cleaned the carb in an ultrasonic cleaner and mileage returned to normal. Not sure if fuel injection can have similar issues or not.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My 07 Wee with 53,000Km on it consistently gets 4.5 L/100Km, which converts to about 52 MPG. That's normal riding for me. Not much over the speed limits, but hard acceleration from any stop or out of a corner I've had to slow down for. I normally have a top case on but don't usually ride with my side cases. If I'm using the bike as transportation and not playing around on it, I can occasionally push it to 3.9 L/100Km, or 60 MPG, but as has already been mentioned, that's just no fun.

·
Registered
479 Posts
My 07 Wee with 53,000Km on it consistently gets 4.5 L/100Km, which converts to about 52 MPG.
Hey theayn, I see you're from Canada. Is that MPG quoted a US or Imperial gallon?

I wish the US would get on with converting to metric but that's a topic for another thread...>:)

·
Registered
310 Posts
04 here with 65K miles, probably a little hard on the throttle, big trips see 80+ mph for hours. Routinely see 44-46 mpg.

·
Registered
343 Posts
If it is Imperial gallons you are getting the equivalent of 37 US miles per gallon. If that is the case something is very wrong. Mechanical issues first, check your calipers to make sure they aren't stuck. Others will have more ideas re mechanical issues. But 37 US mpg is a big red flag.
If your mileage is in US gallons you are still well below normal. Throw some SeaFoam in the tank and see if MPG ticks up a wee bit. Worked for me.

·
Registered
14,015 Posts
"I wish the US would get on with converting to metric"
It's a very slow process but more and more often metric creeps into the daily routine. Even the cooking shows refer to metric values for the recipes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
'09 DL650, just did its first valve shimming at 13k. I do a lot of rural cruising, secondary roads mainly, easy rides that would probably bore most others to death, but to each his/her own. I don't mind winding it out now & then. Some highway speeds, some in-town, and I routinely get better than 60. All-time best was just over 65.

I've had it a few years now. I still think it's a bit comical that I can travel about 120 miles before I lose the first segment on the fuel gauge.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If I ever decide to run for President switching to the metric system would be top priority...just to watch heads explode! I was promised the metric system in 1978...waiting!!!!

I digress, 2009 650 Wee, 7000 miles. Am getting 50 mpg +/-1 mpg over the past 1000 miles. Some slab, commuting, and two-laners...

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
I recall my 650 chugging back the gas on 80MPG highway slabbing. I got as poor as 36MPG coming back from the NC rally on one stretch of highway.

60MPH twisties and country roads and it was VERY good on gas... often as good as 55-58MPG.

·
Registered
160 Posts
08 Wee w/ 25000 mi. 61-52 mpg consistently.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey theayn, I see you're from Canada. Is that MPG quoted a US or Imperial gallon?

I wish the US would get on with converting to metric but that's a topic for another thread...>:)
That's US Gallons. And I agree completely that that I'm not going to get into a metric/imperial argument here..

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hard acceleration and higher speeds are definitely MPG killers on a Wee. Windshields will make a big difference too. I had a spinal fusion a few years ago. I'm now a little shorter than I used to be which resulted in a buffeting issue. I ended up going from a shorty windshield to a taller than stock one and lost several MPG.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Add luggage to the deal as well. No luggage, less wind resistance, better fuel consumption. Also ill fitting protective clothing could influence the fuel consumption, but not to a huge amount, just a little bit of a parachute effect. Every little thing from weather conditions, worn wheel bearings, tire pressure, binding brakes, the overall aerodynamics, weight being transported, throttle control, etc, all play a part in the fuel consumption.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts