StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cureently ride a DRZ400S and after about 20 minutes of sitting while on the road, my back starts hurting. I end up having to stand up for several miles for some relief. Does anyone else have this problem? If I bought a V-Strom, would I have this problem? I need something to rest my back against and thought maybe I can get a custom seat with a backrest. Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
calamari racer said:
I cureently ride a DRZ400S and after about 20 minutes of sitting while on the road, my back starts hurting. I end up having to stand up for several miles for some relief. Does anyone else have this problem? If I bought a V-Strom, would I have this problem? I need something to rest my back against and thought maybe I can get a custom seat with a backrest. Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I like using a sleeping bag rolled up behind me for a rest cause I am too cheep to actually buy one.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:( Have you tried a kidney belt ? The strom has an upright riding possition so put pressure on the lower back, lowering the forks in the yolk and turning bars slightly forwards throws your weight forwards on to your hands a bit more spreading it about a bit

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bad back

Bad Back

I study the V-Strom for a long time before I bought the 02. I have had surgery on my back L5, S1 discotomy. Thought of a cruiser, but you take the pounding right in your lower back. Would like to ride a sport bike, but I'am 6'3" and my legs cramp up in that position, also I find it hard on the back. Once I got use to the VS it feels good on the lower back for extended periods of time. I think having the legs in a slight sport bike position is good. I'm actually amazed that I can ride this bike for 600KM at a time. I'm going to rework the seat ( Butt Buffer). Other then that it is an excellent bike for a bad back.

scooter

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: the bad back - I've been riding for 30+ years and just found out I have a spine full of arthritis - spent most of the last riding season with back spasms, so very little riding. My physical therapist said "stop riding" - we have agreed to disagree about that and she showed me (with a chair and various padding, blocks, and wedges) the "optimal" riding position with a low back or neck pain - She basically showed me a dual purpose riding position.
- Heels in a line down from you butt
- Hands and shoulders in a neutral position
- Weight resting on the bones you'd use in bicycle riding

I've tested a bunch of bikes and the one that fits this position(for me anyway) in the VStrom.

Hope that helps.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Riding position on the 'Strom is unusually good. If you're prone to chronic back pain, I'd invest in a custom saddle done by someone who knows their stuff.

Rich's Custom Seats in Seattle is one of the nation's best. Ironbutt riders from all over the USA visit "the butt doctor's" shop to pick up one of the very best custom saddles made. I've had Mustangs, Corbins and Russels, and a custom fitted saddle by Rich puts them all to shame. With a chronic back injury, I can ride 17-19 hours, get off and not feel like I've been an hour in the saddle.

He will even do saddle by mail order. Your butt AND back will thank you! Check him out at:

http://www.richscustomseats.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts