StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had always had problems from time to time going between 1st and 2nd.
1 in 10 resulted in a false neutral.I preloaded the change , but when I had my wife on back it was worst , say 1 in 5.
I adjusted , re adjusted the shifter but in the end lived with it.

Then I found the solution.

New boots. yes new boots.

I had oxtar boots and they where great , but now the dianese are better for this very reason.

I have had the new boots for 2 months now and the last 5k has seen it go to about 1-400 if that.

Strange but true.....:jawdrop:
Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
459 Posts
Getting frequent false neutrals (or other missed gears) is often due to the shift lever not being adjusted to the right height for your foot. If it is too high your foot won't have enough force at the end of the movement to set the selector firmly. Your new boots might be slightly taller than your last ones.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I was Taught to hold the lever up till you let clutch out. Works well. Wee has been worst I have ever ridden for false neutrals. I'll look into lever adjustment

·
Registered
459 Posts
I should have added, apart from the distance between your boot and the lever, how and where your boot pivots on the peg can also make a difference. If you wear boots with soles that impede a smooth movement then you can miss shifts as well.

Once the selector is in, holding the lever up has no further effect and doing so is counterproductive to smooth shifting as you have to let the lever recover first before you can shift again. Snick it in by rolling your foot slightly to the left as you upshift, and firm but gentle pressure.

Quick setup is to sit on the bike with your feet in their normal riding position - get someone to hold you if you don't have a centre stand - then adjust the toe piece of the gear lever until it is level with the middle of the sole of your boot. (ie, between the bottom of the sole and the welt.) From that position you will have the minimal amount of movement required for up or down shifts, and you can tweak it from there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Interesting comment. I have had occasional shifting problems but didn't link to having a pillion until last weekend, when I picked my daughter up.

I caught neutral 3 or 4 times with her on the back and it isn't normally something I do otherwise.

·
Registered
32 Posts
FWIW, I've noticed I get much smoother shifting (no clunk) from first to second if I shift right about 2750 rpm.
Haven't noticed any of my boots making any difference. But something to consider.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
The folding shift lever from Touratech is about twice as expensive as it should be, but it completely eliminates the sloppy stock linkage and sharpens up shift feel considerably.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
The folding shift lever from Touratech is about twice as expensive as it should be, but it completely eliminates the sloppy stock linkage and sharpens up shift feel considerably.
Thanks for the tip. I rarely get false neutrals, but I do find the shifting (more notably on the lower gears) to be quite clunky.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Once the selector is in, holding the lever up has no further effect and doing so is counterproductive
Interesting you say this, because any bike I have had with false neutrals, I have never had one since using this technique. So one of us is wrong. Happy for it to be me, and perhaps because I hold the lever up longer conciously, maybe I sub conciously also pull it up higher or something. But either way, the technique I have been taught works for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts