StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Total cost: $3.50 in stainless hardware, plus $69 for a tank bag...

So I'd noticed that a lot of buffeting seems to be from a turbulent updraft coming off the tank. It starts at the knees, goes straight up along the torso, and when the airstreams from either side of the bike meet in the middle, they shake my torso and head quite a bit. Push your knees out and the buffeting gets much worse. Squeeze the tank with your knees and it smooths some.

And I also noticed that at 6' tall and the shield in the middle position, that the transition from "still" air to moving air was at about forehead level. The top position left me in quieter air, but my head would get jackhammered.

So I moved the screen to the secret "fourth" position, using a couple stainless 6mm x 1.0 cap screws and a couple stainless washers because the "top" windshield bracket bolts won't fit in the lower holes. This position creates a large gap at the bottom of the windshield so a lot of air goes under the screen and shoots straight up. That gets my head in quiet air without ducking, but there is still turbulence.

...And then I took a ride with my tank bag on. For some reason that smooths the updraft and now the buffeting is nearly gone, even up to 90 indicated...

For now, I'm happy. I don't get a headache riding on the interstate anymore and I can drop two clicks on my earplug volume now that my head is in the still air behind the shield. The "vision line" over the top of the shield is probably 30'-50' ahead of the bike, which is fine.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Total cost: $3.50 in stainless hardware, plus $69 for a tank bag...

......So I'd noticed that a lot of buffeting seems to be from a turbulent updraft coming off the tank. .......Squeeze the tank with your knees and it smooths some. ..........

I only added a tank bag to my stock DL1000 and the buffeting is very mild. You may be onto something!:mrgreen:

·
Registered
213 Posts
I completely agree,most of the wind comes from below. If I lay my left arm across the tank in front of me it gets rid of most of the buffeting

·
Registered
13 Posts
I adjusted mine too

after reading your post - i went out and got some long screws - 6 mm for the windshield mount and started playing. I found that a plastic wine cork can be cut in 1/2 and drilled to fit these screws - makes a perfect rubber bumper.
but i didnt like the highest position, so i have just found the absolute lowest position. The screws are in the top holes on the mount, and the mount sticks over the top of the headlights, and screws into position 2 and 3 on the bike.
it looks a little funny, but the wind does not buffet my helmet! Much cooler to ride with my vented leather, and it only cost $2..
i will attach photos later.
Mike

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
I went out and bought one of the $30 WalMart tank bags and my buffeting is greatly diminshed also.

I can get the Wee up to 90mph indicated with no buffeting, before it was unbearable at 70mph

I did note that if my bag wasn't tied down at the rear (seat end) it would almost stand on its head above 70mph.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I added 4 1" plastic spacers under the windshield and installed it in the highest position with longer bolts. The buffeting is gone up to 95 mph. I am 5'11" tall

1 - 7 of 7 Posts