StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During extended trips, particularly when I have had to ride long stints on an interstate, my DL-650 tends to get a little thirsty, and needs a sip, or two of motor oil. I also need to lubricate my chain as well during a long ride, (or a short "swim" through a mud puddle!).

The video below is something that I shot and put together this afternoon, (slow day at the "office"....). The intention of it is to share what I do with other riders; to maybe give them a "spark" to think of similar ideas for themselves.

The video is NOT intended to be a discussion point as to what kind of motor oil I use in my bike, nor what type of lubrication I have chosen for my drive chain. I have made my choices for what I use, based upon what has worked best for me over the past 94,000 miles.

Here is the video:

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
What part of your bike do you lubricate with the insect repellent?! :confused:

And how do I pack a black lab on my bike to help with the lubricating tasks?

:biggrinjester:

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What part of your bike do you lubricate with the insect repellent?! :confused:
Why, the headlights and the front fairing of course!

Both the fairing and the headlights are usually covered with smashed bugs at the end of a long day's ride. I found, that if I spray the headlights, and the fairing BEFORE I head out on a ride, it is much easier to squeegie the dead insects off at the end of the day.

Think of the bug spray as kind of a "pre-wash" to my ride cycle.

:biggrinjester: :biggrinjester: :biggrinjester:

B.L.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Good thinking putting the gear lube in a soup can! Not to sure about lubing the chain while running in gear though. I remember seeing a picture of a hand that got run through the rear sprocket, think he was using a rag to clean though. But I would still be very careful, it was a very grotesque image!!

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I remember seeing a picture of a hand that got run through the rear sprocket, think he was using a rag to clean though.
It is not a problem. My hands are well away from the chain and sprocket. If the tip of the bottle was ever to get caught between the sprocket and the chain, the bottle would be pulled out of my hands, and not my hands pulled into the sprocket. What I am doing is fine.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Thanks for the video. Your dog at the end was the very best part of it. I have two cats that supervise everything I do and understand that for quality work you (and I) have to have supervision.

R

·
0 Posts
Handy organizing and lube tips!
Your poor old Lab is probably thinking...."Oh God, he's here with that d_mn camera again..." My great-uncle had that same look.
Thanks for posting, this one's great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts