StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at buying a 2016 Wee. Best deal I could find was on either a silver or a red one. Don't really like either color. Would prefer white or blue. How difficult is it to change the color? Can you buy OEM panels in different colors, or do you have to paint your stock ones?

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
You can of course buy different coloured panels but the cheaper option would be paint. Depending on your Strom type the tank would be the most difficult undertaking - too expensive to replace. And bikes do look a little odd with no graphics/badges.

I'm sure that getting it done professionally would be expensive and doing it with spray cans could easily end up a disaster. Side panels, tank and all the faring. You'd need to be fairly confident before undertaking that.

There are threads where people have vinyl wrapped their Strom for a completely individual look. Perhaps this might be worth a trial to see how it looks - it would certainly make your Strom unique.
http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650a-2012-2016/80042-vinyl-wrapd-strom.html

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
The tank is not a problem at all. Every 2012 and up 650 model comes with black gas tank. You can post in wanted section that you would like to trade your fairings. You never know...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! Been looking at more pics of the bikes in those colors in the "real world" and they are growing on me...

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
I sprayed my tank panels "rattle can" red and the side covers silver. They both are easily removed. I left the fairing black (stock color) since it goes with red and I didn't want to go to the trouble of taking it apart to paint. It didn't turn out too bad. I found some Suzuki emblems the same as the original ones on Ebay, much cheaper than from Suzuki. I might paint a different color this season to keep it interesting.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
If the color you want exists as a stock color, I've seen people arrange trades.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
The front painted piece is the hard part to get off. The whole fairing has to come off to access the attachment bolts. My Glee was the most difficult to disassemble bike I've ever owned. All the little catches and industrial strength press together panels were nerve wracking. Some pieces required more muscle to separate than other pieces could handle without breaking and it's hard to tell the difference with no experience.

·
Registered
501 Posts
The front painted piece is the hard part to get off. The whole fairing has to come off to access the attachment bolts. My Glee was the most difficult to disassemble bike I've ever owned. All the little catches and industrial strength press together panels were nerve wracking. Some pieces required more muscle to separate than other pieces could handle without breaking and it's hard to tell the difference with no experience.
Yes, feel your pain.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,462 Posts
The tank shroud and side panels are easy to get off. I painted mine with Krylon Fusion but it's flat Khaki so it's easy & hard to spot a flaw. The front mask is another thing, it's difficult to remove and had many interlocking tabs that easily break. I have not done the mask yet, but it will get taped off and painted in place. White is going to difficult to spray DIY and have it come out good.

·
Registered
105 Posts

Agreed! Slightly off topic, but all I want to do is flush the rear brake fluid and it looks like half the rear of the bike has to be removed! What were they thinking? :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got all approved through the dealer and my credit union. Just needed to figure out if I could get to Boise and back in one day.

Then I started adding up all the extra costs (insurance was $53 a month), the gear I need, the farkle I'd have to add, plus what I'd save in gas, and just how often I could actually ride with the Northwest weather, and decided to pass for now.

I still have that Polaris ATV in my garage that I have to get running still and that should satisfy my motoring urges for the summer.

Still, hard to pass up such a good deal on the perfect bike. Guess

·
Registered
354 Posts
After ALL that????? If its $$$ buy a used one for half the price! You could find a decent low mileage Wee for$3K. No need for full coverage! My insurance cost $75/year for 2 bikes! Life is short! :confused:

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you happen to have the patience you could give vinyl wrapping a go. I spent about $50 on 3M 1080 vinyl wrapping from Amazon and was able to go from the stock red to orange. Since it was my first time I had used more than what was required and had some left over vinyl, now that I know I can do it I planning to make this one of the winter projects to swap out new color/ skins for the bike.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I bought lower fairings for my 06 Vee and they needed to be painted to match the stock tank, etc. So I had the front fender and some other parts painted also. Over $100 for paint. A casual friend thought I'd better let him do the painting as I was ready to use a rattle can. When ready, I went to pick up the parts and (thinking he was doing it for free) asked him what I owed him and he said $400. The red is a real pain to paint. So check to see how the color you prefer is painted before you think about doing it. Opaque paints should be fairly easy to do. But the red over the gold primer has to be done in layers. Pain in the exhaust.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you happen to have the patience you could give vinyl wrapping a go. I spent about $50 on 3M 1080 vinyl wrapping from Amazon and was able to go from the stock red to orange. Since it was my first time I had used more than what was required and had some left over vinyl, now that I know I can do it I planning to make this one of the winter projects to swap out new color/ skins for the bike.
I would love to hear more about that process

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts