StromTrooper banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my Wee-Strom in September 09 straight off the showroom floor.

Today I replaced the front brake pads for the first time at 55,216km. :jawdrop:

The pads I have fitted are non genuine after market standard compound pads.
On a short test ride after fitting I found they stop as effectively as the originals [which I found excellent, I don't know why people complain about Strom brakes :confused: they work very well].

The originals I removed would have gone at least another 5,000km. [the wear limit grooves in the old pads still have 1.5mm left before they are at the maximum wear limit of the pads]

My Wee-Strom has cost me so little in maintenance since I bought it. :fineprint:

Tyres every 15-18,000km; rear brake pads at 48,000km; front sprocket and chain at about 52,000km; routine servicing/oil changes.

Man..... how cheap are these bikes to own and run. :thumbup::thumbup:

Anyone who is worried about the cost and reliability of owning one of these bikes can rest easy. :yesnod:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Its not the bike. Its the rider. Stock front pads can be worn out in 10K miles. Chain and sprockets can be toast in 15K miles.

·
Registered
875 Posts
His point is that the bike is cheap to maintain. Of course it varies by rider.

As a point of comparison, my latest Bike magazine has an update on their long-term test of the new K1600GT, and they toasted the rear brake pads along with the rotors at 6k miles to the tune of $600+ dollars.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Brakes?

I think Ock may have seen my gripes on the Strom brakes. No doubt the brakes actually work but compared to several naked bikes I have ridden. CB 1300, Suzuki 1200 Bandit, GS+GSA 1200 BMW GSX 750 etc, the Strom brakes are "wooden" in feel. The Beemers are assisted true, but I would love to have the feel of say the Bandit. i'll have to purchase the GSX calipers and stop whingeing.
There is no doubt the Strom. is cheap to run, I have no regrets, well another 40H.P. would be good to have. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Its a cracking bike, no doubt about it! Its cost me very little in upkeep since I bought it new in Dec'10. With 8200 miles on it the tyres are nearing the wear indicators and the rear brake pads may need changing in the next couple of thousand miles but I ride my bike 90% in stop/start London traffic on nearly a daily basis in all weathers. Its an awesome bike if what you need is a reliable & cheap to maintain workhorse. A big 'thumbs up' from me :thumbup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts