StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, has anyone had trouble with stock cam chain tensioners, and if so, at how many miles? I see the APE manual Tensioners for the SV 650 and have wondered if these are more 'eye candy' than anything else on those bikes? Not that I'm ready to go farkling again without just cause...

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'll take the lack of replies as 'problems are nil to non-existent' with OEM.

I'm good with that.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Ken, I've still got my C10 so I know where this question is coming from! :mrgreen: I have an APE tensioner on that bike, really needed one at about 20k miles. At ~50k on the Wee, I see (or hear) no need to do the same. :hurray:

(Now where's that knock on wood emoticon....?)

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had one on my C10, as well. The startling lack of required maintenance required on the Wee almost makes me feel guilty. I don't miss taking all that plastic on/off that bike, though, or threading that valve cover through the frame every 600 miles or so for the valve checks! Other than that, a very endearing 'fast-sweeper' machine that would roll so cleanly into the turns with only a thought.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I don't miss taking all that plastic on/off that bike, though, or threading that valve cover through the frame every 600 miles or so for the valve checks! .
Whoa. You check the valves every 600 miles? You sound like a good candidate to be a BMW owner. Just about every series of BMWs have had problems and a redesign of the cam chain tensioner at some point, so you would feel right at home. ;)

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whoa. You check the valves every 600 miles? You sound like a good candidate to be a BMW owner. Just about every series of BMWs have had problems and a redesign of the cam chain tensioner at some point, so you would feel right at home. ;)
Not by choice, only by maintenance schedule! That ZG1000 concours is an old lock-nut valve adjust design with each tappet actuating two valves (4-valve head). Lot's of folks really love these bikes because they are 'honest' old school muscle sport-tourers (albeit HEAVY), requiring lots of care and feeding from their owners - don't even think about using a repair shop or dealer for all the maintenance required ($$). Most dealers didn't even recognize what it was in the later years, in the days before the mighty C14 replacement came along.

It was not without it's problems, but there is an enormous wealth of forum knowledge to overcome all of them on a bike that was in production (virtually unchanged) for something like 20 years. Not to mention extremely heavy aftermarket support. A poor man's BMW with all flaws laid bare - not the prettiest girl at the prom, but you really didn't care :mrgreen:. I guess that same function-over-looks philosophy led me straight from the C10 to happy Wee ownership.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
But that valve check interval should read 6000, not 600......:yesnod:

·
Registered
899 Posts
But that valve check interval should read 6000, not 600......:yesnod:
That's kinda what I thought too. C10 ownership sounds a lot like R1100 ownership. There is a thriving online community sharing tons of DIY advice - out of necessity.

·
Registered
15,411 Posts
You sound like a good candidate to be a BMW owner
Set a bit loose, the valves on a beemer rarely changed. Most folks are WAY TOO ANAL about valves setting.
Only my '55 Ariel Hunt Master 650 twin needed valves at short intervals. Even then, it wasn't mileage but the feeling of bogging starts from stop signs that relegated adjustment.
The exhaust valve clearance was getting too small.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Adjusting valves at 6000miles....??? you need to adjust valves on a Wee?

Jokes aside, the maintenance schedule recommends 24 000 km ( 15 000 miles) between each valve ''check'', because that is what most likely happens when you open it up: no adjustment is needed. I had mine ''checked''at the first 24 000 km interval, nothing was needed and forgot about it afterwards. Its up to 55 000 km now and everyting sounds and works just fine. Maybe, just maybe i'll have them ''cheked''again once before I trade up for the new model in a few years.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So, 15,000 miles is the recommended interval. I'm glad to find that info as my DL came with no book of any sort. Seems as though they're in short supply on flea-bay as well. Thanks for the info.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts