StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 03 Strom, pick it up Sunday. How fast is a Strom, my present ride an 02 SV650 has an indicated top speed of 135/130 mph. Is my new Strom faster?

M

·
0 Posts
The Strom is restricted. It won't go above 125 MPH. You can get a derestricor to get it to it's true top speed of around 150-155mph.

·
Registered
213 Posts
how fast

The fastest I've had mine was a real 117 with Givi luggage on. I believe without the luggage I could make a 125. It is not the most stable bike at those speeds though.

M

·
0 Posts
Try lowering the front end. I lowered mine 10mm. It did quicken the steering a bit.

Some have reported that lowering the front end gave them more stability especially at higher speeds or during cross winds. I haven't experienced any of those probs though.

The best part is if you don't like it you can easily change it back.

John

C

·
0 Posts
RE

Thanks, so that should be 2/5".

I'm no suspension expert but I think raising the forktubes will quicken the steering at the expense (though it might not be felt much on the DL) of high speed stability. It's common on the sportbikes, it's mentioned a lot on their boards/forums to raise the rear for quicker turn in which I think would have the same effect as lowering the front end.

-cos

·
Registered
167 Posts
I got a 120 mph with 15 mm of fork tube showing. No wobble and very stable.

steve

·
Registered
213 Posts
how fast

Was that indicated or actual 120? With about a 9% speedo error 120 would be about 109 mph. I have raised my forks about 1/2". The ride rides pretty good but I do get some wind issues depending on which way the wind is coming at me.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Re: how fast

rider1951 said:
Was that indicated or actual 120? With about a 9% speedo error 120 would be about 109 mph. I have raised my forks about 1/2". The ride rides pretty good but I do get some wind issues depending on which way the wind is coming at me.
That was indicated. I thought we were working with a 6% error??? I also was not WFO at the time.

R

·
0 Posts
how fast

No I have a yellow box installed on mine and have recalibrated for the error. I still had a little left in the motor but was at 8500 rpms in 5th gear. I figure without the Give E36s on the side I could probably get to 125. I don't think we can pull 6th gear.

G

·
0 Posts
Meatsac said:
The Strom is restricted. It won't go above 125 MPH. You can get a derestricor to get it to it's true top speed of around 150-155mph.
I took delivery of an '02 DL1000 I bought from a local dealer, lightly used, with a little over 2,000 miles on her. Marvelous bike! I notice the speedo is pretty inaccurate so I did a search here on indicated vs. actual speed. I ran into this post from 18 months ago. Are the Stroms indeed "speed restricted"? The link provided in this thread goes to an online vendor that doesn't show the "derestrictor" for sale. Anyone have more info?

Also, I happened upon another thread in which someone mentioned an aftermarket part to correct the speedo readings. Can anyone put up a link to something like that?

Thanks!

Gary

T

·
0 Posts
If you wanted sportbike speed...maybe you should have baught a GSXR :lol:

G

·
0 Posts
Did I say I wanted sportbike speed? I just don't like the idea that it's restricted. I have no plans to take it over 100mph in the near future, but when I get the bike to Nevada on the open road, who knows... :wink:

T

·
0 Posts
Just givin you grief man! I was at 120 the other day on my 650. That is plenty fast for me.....do I sound old? :lol:

G

·
0 Posts
I just found this old discussion on top speed kinda strange. First, the speed restrictor (I've never heard that one before), then folks saying they reach top speed in 5th gear. That's counter-intuitive to me... is there something inherently incapable with 6th gear on the DL1000?? (Sheesh, I haven't even gotten the bike to 6th yet!) :lol: Anyway, should I ever reach 125 mph I don't want to get a false sense that I've hit a limit when it's just a chip in the Strom that's preventing additional speed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had to pass a slow moving line of cars on the way to work this morning on the Wee-Strom.
When I glanced down, the speedo was over the ton mark so I decided to check the max speed my
GPS had recorded. The blue ones really are the fastest.

Dave

R

·
0 Posts
I've got up to 130mph several times and wondered why it just stopped accelerating. Thanks for the info. about the restrictor. The bike feels scary to me at 100mph so I'm going to do something with the front end before I try for the max speed with a derestrictor.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts