StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a K-7 DL1000 and always get gas when my last black bar is the only one on. (150 miles) Can I wait till the red one comes on? (the last one) - how far is reserve or how far should I get out of a tank?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
You've got about a gallon left when the last bar starts to flash. It will be solid for a bit before the fuel gets low enough to make it flash.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
I know it can be scary figuring things out on your own, but you might consider the fact that Suzuki lists the fuel capacity as 22 L (5.8/4.8 US/Imp gal). So, next time you fill up, subtract the amount of fuel you put in the tank from the capacity of the tank. Its, kind of, an advanced concept but you will have a good approximation of how much fuel is left in the tank. If you really want to go crazy, you could probably use the numbers from the miles ridden and the fuel consumed to extrapolate the miles of fuel that were left in the tank. Although, evaluations of this magnitude border on rocket science. :rolleyes:

Shep, does this qualify as a "What's the point" response?

I have a K-7 DL1000 and always get gas when my last black bar is the only one on. (150 miles) Can I wait till the red one comes on? (the last one) - how far is reserve or how far should I get out of a tank?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You've got about a gallon left when the last bar starts to flash. It will be solid for a bit before the fuel gets low enough to make it flash.
So it is safe to wait until I get on the red because I have a good fifty miles??

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
50 miles would be pushing it. It's unusual for a 1000 to get 50mpg and it seems to be hard on the fuel pump to go very low. It's probably not good to go much further than 20 miles on the flashing bar.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
I own a 2007 DL-650.

Here are a few of my own thoughts on this topic.

My routine is to use the "Trip 1" odometer to keep track of my overall trip mileage. I use "Trip 2" to keep track of my mileage per tank.

While on a trip, I will reset my "Trip 2" odometer after I refill my fuel tank at each stop. This way, I have a sense of where I am at and how much farther I can go before I run out of gas.

Just how many miles I can squeeze out of a tank is determined by a number of variables. If I have been cruising at 65 - 75 mph on a highway, I will get less miles per tank then if I have been traveling secondary roads and dirt roads. If I am bucking a head wind on the highway, I get even less miles per tank.

One issue that no one has brought up on this topic is, quality of fuel. I have had some pretty meager "tank fulls" that can only be attributed to poor fuel quality. I can remember one tank being 234 miles of just plain old riding. The best I have done is 306 miles.

An average distance for me would be 260 - 280 miles, (on a DL-650) and I feel I am still in my comfort zone. What is important for me to keep track of, (and it is not directly related to mpg), is what kind of riding I do between my fill-ups.

It's a little like sailing. You can set a course from point A to point B. You can calculate windspeed and hull speed. You can figure what your ETA is. But, is this taking into consideration tidal currents? Are you traveling with the current, against the current, or broadside to the current?

In the end, it takes time, (many tank fulls of gas!!!!), which builds experience, and ultimately you trust your gut. It's not just the numbers, there is instinct involved. And, that is part of the challenge; the mental game of just how far you can go on a tank full of gas.

B.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just don't let it run completely out of gas. My auto mechanic buddies say that when you run a fuel injected vehicle out of gas, you cut the life expectancy of the fuel pump by 50%.

If you price a fuel pump for the Stroms, you will see how bad that can be.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Just don't let it run completely out of gas. My auto mechanic buddies say that when you run a fuel injected vehicle out of gas, you cut the life expectancy of the fuel pump by 50%.

If you price a fuel pump for the Stroms, you will see how bad that can be.
This is good to know as long as it's true. I won't personally test the theory.

I seem to fill up after the top 2-3 bars are gone. The guage doesn't seem to be linear and my fill ups are 3-4 gals (US). Of course this doesn't answer the OP's question but my thought would be in local driving, when you're down to the last bar, fill up. When you are on the road, if stations are scarce, don't go below 2 bars.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Deception! :rolleyes:

Went to a lake here in Aleberta and filled up prior to leaving Edmonton. Seeing as it was only135kms from the city, I didn't fill up on the way back. I had 3 bars left and thought for sure i would be able to at least make it back with a bar left. I was doing on average 120km/h there and the same on the way back. I was certain that when it got to the "low" point the box would be empty and still flashing...WRONG! I found out in the far left lane as my bike was starting to sputter and losing power from 120km/h slowing fast. I hit the signal light and crossed 3 lanes as safely as possible to get to the shoulder. Last thing I wanted to do was push my bike across three lanes in between speeders and tractor trailers. Let the bike sit as I called my wife who was coming behind me to let her know she may need to get me some "go-go" juice. She snickered and asked where I was. I tried the bike and it started and I managed to get off the hwy to where I could see a gas station. It sputtered again when i was about 500 meters away. I should have pushed it! Anyway, got to the pump and put 21.47 litres into my precious bike.

I will never do that again; 1) for the bike and 2) for my humility! I got 329Kms out of that tank of regular.

·
Registered
186 Posts
With my corrected speedometer, I can do about 200 miles of "normal riding" and still have 1/2 gallon in the tank when I fill up. One of these days, I'm going to go Kramer and run her completely out just so I'll know.

·
Registered
311 Posts
So it is safe to wait until I get on the red because I have a good fifty miles??
Depends on the distance to the next gas station. If you are in Denio, NV, and the one and only gas station is out of gas you got a problem. Been there and done that. There is a super nice kid in Denio who is really an angel in disguise and has been known to sell his lawn-mower gas to an idiot on a motorsickle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts