StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I just wanted to throw this out there. I think I may have one of the highest recorded mileage, if not the highest, on a stock set of Trail Wings. :yesnod:

I just got my new Tourances mounted two days ago, so now I can share my mileage on the stockers (I didn't want to post this until after I had them off the bike in case it jinxed me)

I got 14,060 miles out of my stock factory trail wings. :jawdrop:

Now you may think I was stupid for riding them that long, but I continually checked the thread depth in multiple places on the back tire, and it was still within the specification of the shop manual. The front still had some life in it as well as far as tread depth is concerned, but the corners were started to show some checking and the set of tires if probably close to 6-7 years old.

Anyways, you can say what you want, but I felt safe on these tires and always checked my tire pressures. If you have a higher mileage please post it! :thumbup:

FYI, I couldn't believe the mileage either, but I bought the bike with 8K miles on it, and I asked the PO many times, and he said that he never replaced the stock tires. It almost seemed that the tires hardly wore at all in the last 6K of riding it. :confused:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Sounds pretty good to me. I had just over 12k miles on mine when I replaced them. Obviously the front could have gone much longer, but I was switching to Michelin PRs so I wanted to change both of them.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I replaced mine at 15,539 miles. The front still had 3/32" left and the rear 2/32".

2011 DL650
33psi front
36psi rear

Ron :mrgreen:

·
Registered
631 Posts
9800 miles on the stock rear Trailwing on my 1000 and there's quite a bit left. Unless it starts wearing at an accelerated pace, I'd imagine another 3-4k before I get to the tread wear indicators.

·
Registered
197 Posts
OEM Tire Mileage

I replaced my rear tire at 18,400 miles. At 22,100 miles, the front tire will need to be replaced this year.

Perhaps my OEM tire longevity is due to my 138 pound weight and that I drive in a sane, calm manner.

·
Registered
722 Posts
That's impressive.

I'm the 2nd owner of my wee. It has about 8500 miles on it and I am pretty sure neither tire is going to pass the state safety inspection this June.

8500 is pretty good for me though. My last bike (a 1200) barely made it 4-5k between chewing up rears.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I only got 8,000 miles on the rear and 14,000 miles on the front. I must be hard on tires.
Exact same here. Both of my stock tires were squared off as a brick when replaced them. I went with Michelin Road Pilot 3. Great tire for street use.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glad to see there are guys with more miles than me! I was feeling special until now!

Keep em' coming!

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I got 12,000 out of my first set.I'm on my 3rd set now,I got my last 2 sets from other troopers that didn't like them so they were used when I got them.I always run 40psi rear and 40psi front.I REALLY like the TW's and will continue to run them IF I can get them cheap !!.I ride everyday year round and the TW's perform well in all conditions and I can scrape pegs if I want to.:yikes:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I got 12,000 out of my first set.I'm on my 3rd set now,I got my last 2 sets from other troopers that didn't like them so they were used when I got them.I always run 40psi rear and 40psi front.I REALLY like the TW's and will continue to run them IF I can get them cheap !!.I ride everyday year round and the TW's perform well in all conditions and I can scrape pegs if I want to.:yikes:
You're crazy! Especially in Seattle. I just dont trust that front TW from not sliding out from under me in a corner in the wet. I have no problems with them when its dry, I'll ride like a maniac, but when its wet out, I ride like your grandma drives. I guess I really dont have any good reason not to trust them but I just dont know how far you can push them in the wet before they give, and I dont want to find out first hand.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I have about 7,750 miles on my trail wings and I run them around 41psi. I don't expect to hit 10k miles and I have been shopping for replacements to compare prices and performance reports. I'll run these a bit longer but the wear I'm seeing is pretty uniform across the entire tire.

I did have a bad period where I failed to check the tire pressure for an extened period and found them at about 25psi late last fall. Opps. I think that has contributed to my dramatically lower usage miles.

I have decided to replace the trailwings with Michelin Anakee 2s when the time comes.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I'm the 2nd owner of my wee. It has about 8500 miles on it and I am pretty sure neither tire is going to pass the state safety inspection this June.
So I lied. I'm about to turn 11k and still haven't swapped the rubber yet. But then I haven't had to have the inspection agent look at them yet either.

I may be able to milk these things to 12 or 13k before I absolutely have to swap them. :hurray:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts