StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My bike is currently dead on the side of the road in a remote location (halfway up to Mt. Baker in Washington). The charging system is pretty clearly broken (I jump-started it earlier, but then foolishly drove it up towards my camp site, hoping to retrieve some camping gear).

I'm staying with friends who will help me, but don't have capacity to haul the bike. One possibility is to pull the battery, charge it, put it back in, and ride the bike to where I could get repairs. But I have no idea how far I could expect to get on a bike with no functional charging system. Do any of you know?

I should add that the battery is only nine months old, so I am pretty confident that there's something else wrong.

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
been there ....I got 100 miles on a new fully charged battery but was told I had some stator output at 5k rpm +.

One guy drove back from Alaska by using a car battery on the pillion and recharging it at night. YMMV

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Disconnect your headlights to extend your range.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Dont know how far he battery will last but if that's your only option then you have to wing it. May be ask your friend to follow you with another battery?

How far do you have to go?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,185 Posts
I know for a fact that a Vee will go over 27 miles with zero output from the charging system. In Houston rush hour traffic! I did unplug both headlights. It seemed to have plenty of juice left when I got home. Started it a few times and sounded pretty normal doing that. I did have a fully charged battery when the "red light" came on from my voltmeter.

·
Registered
385 Posts
My bike is currently dead on the side of the road in a remote location (halfway up to Mt. Baker in Washington). The charging system is pretty clearly broken (I jump-started it earlier, but then foolishly drove it up towards my camp site, hoping to retrieve some camping gear).

I'm staying with friends who will help me, but don't have capacity to haul the bike. One possibility is to pull the battery, charge it, put it back in, and ride the bike to where I could get repairs. But I have no idea how far I could expect to get on a bike with no functional charging system. Do any of you know?

I should add that the battery is only nine months old, so I am pretty confident that there's something else wrong.
This JUST happened to me a few days ago. I was able to pull the battery and get it charged at Advance Auto. They load tested it and verified the problem was not the battery. So I turned off everything I could (NOT the headlights) and rode +4 hours home at interstate speed not knowing how bad the charging system was. I bought a new battery and stored it in my top trunk in case I didn't get far enough on the recharged battery and would need to switch batteries. Fortunately, my charging system was still putting out "something" so that when I stopped for gas I was able to restart and keep going.

Currently buying a new Stator and R/R.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts