StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the V Strom family. I bought a K7 650 last Saturday. I need to find out a good way to tie-down my bike on my trailer. It looks like if I put soft ties around the fork bridge the straps will rub the fairing on the underside where the straps project out diagonaly. I have seen bikes tied by their grips using a special cross strap that connects between the two grips. I'll experiment- but hoping I can learn from your experience.

Stan

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
shimes said:
I'm new to the V Strom family. I bought a K7 650 last Saturday. I need to find out a good way to tie-down my bike on my trailer. It looks like if I put soft ties around the fork bridge the straps will rub the fairing on the underside where the straps project out diagonaly. I have seen bikes tied by their grips using a special cross strap that connects between the two grips. I'll experiment- but hoping I can learn from your experience.

Stan
I tie down the front end using a Bar-Harness by Canyon Dancer:
http://www.canyondancer.com/
It won't work with most hand guards and you have to be sure that the handlebar clamps are well tightened, but it keeps the tie-down straps away from the bodywork. The passenger peg brackets work well for securing the back end. Hope you like your Wee-Strom as well as I do mine!

·
Registered
264 Posts
With a pair of these... wink wink... nudge nudge... :twisted:

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Ummmm , what is a trailer????? I thought those were for BOATS?! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
203 Posts
When I sold my Stom the guy had an interesting way. He looped two loops around the lower tree. ( That was a mouthful, loop around loop) With those loopes he hooked the ratchet straps. This way the straps didn't rub on the plastic and you are still up high enough to get enough leverage. Looked to work great, probably the best way that I have ever seen for a bike like the Strom. Not very descriptive I know but I tried.

Attention: Brider, your assistance is needed.

B

·
0 Posts
I used to do the forks just above the lower triple clamp on my speed triple. Thats not so easy on the Strom. I do like to run a ratcheting tiedown from one side to the other and looped around the rim and tire like in this pic.

It does suprisingly well holding the bike upright but I dont rely on just that to hold it up. I also have built a front wheel chock to isolate the front wheel from turning and it also helps to hold the bike up.

I made it out of scrap 2X4's and 2X6's I had.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I use my crash bars in front and my tourtech mounts in back.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Here is where I tied it off when I transported the bike. No problems, rubbing damage or anything. The bike was rock solid on the trailer and dident even move a quarter of a inch on its journey. Ratchet straps, with bicycle tubing wrapped around them so negate rubbing.

As you can see under the front over the forks worked good, and through the back handholds also worked well. And one through the front wheel for the safety of those behind us.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
VtSTROM-K5 said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I tried it once, and the bike started leaking some fluid. The headlight lenses got cloudy. I took her off the truck. I'll never do that to her again.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
VtSTROM-K5 said:
Boats and Harleys.

·
Registered
390 Posts
jackpiner57 said:
VtSTROM-K5 said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I tried it once, and the bike started leaking some fluid. The headlight lenses got cloudy. I took her off the truck. I'll never do that to her again.
I had the same experience, plus it started idling like a dog and making a shit-ton of noise without any apparent power.

F

·
0 Posts
Straps

I know no trailers.. I had to no other way.. I had to take mine for valve adjustment and leave with shop.. I modified straps by taking hooks off and runing bolts through loop on strap around h bars to strap buckle .it conviently had holes to put bolt through 5ft wide trailer just enough to clear all body plastic.. Back straps to rear rack.. Board today raining no ride :cry:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I use double handlebar loops, cost like $5 a pair, wrap em around the grips, hook a tie down through em and go.

BTW - someone mentioned ratcheting tie downs, carefull not to bend anything they are hooked to when you snug em up.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
i put my strom in the back of my 44 ton truck quite often, when it has to be serviced, i put it on the side stand and whack a ratchet strap over the seat, done this at least 30 to 40 times with noprobs

·
Registered
21 Posts
Boats and Harleys.
That's funny.....I drive truck locally and when I have the cb on ch. 19 and when the overthecommode drivers start talking about their Hardley's I can't resist running something like that by them then sit back and listen to the fireworks.I also use the Canyon Dancer grip loops on the V.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
654 Posts
+1 on zed88's method, when I absolutely have to trailer it somewhere.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well, she really likes silk scarves, or those fuzzy handcuffs, but neck-ties will do in a pinch... :p

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Zenman, me thinks you slipped off topic a wee bit. lol.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts