StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How do you remove the brake pads from the caliper? And do you have to drain some fluid from the master cylinder to do this job..I do not know what a tag is or a thread! Bob. I have a wee storm. 2006.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Check your messages. There should be no fluid loss.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Bobrobert...while I usually applaud those willing to take on maintenance tasks, I have some reservation when a question like this is asked...

Not to be offensive, but if you have to ask this, it indicates that you have little knowledge of the subject. And since the subject at hand is your brakes, you really should leave this to someone more qualified to handle. Not saying that you have to bring it to the dealer, but at least get with somebody who is mechanically proficient and can show you how to do the job correctly. Then the next time you would be able to 'do it yourself'.

Check the 'regional' forum here and see if there are others in the area that can lend a hand. I've helped other Strommers with maintenance items, and it's time well spent.

If you don't have a factory service manual, then get one (legitimately). Start with the small stuff and work your way up.

But don't go messing with your brakes at this point. Get some qualified assistance. I'd rather see you enjoying many years and miles on your Strom, instead of face-planting the back of a stopped garbage truck because you couldn't stop.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Bobrobert...while I usually applaud those willing to take on maintenance tasks, I have some reservation when a question like this is asked...

Not to be offensive, but if you have to ask this, it indicates that you have little knowledge of the subject. And since the subject at hand is your brakes, you really should leave this to someone more qualified to handle. Not saying that you have to bring it to the dealer, but at least get with somebody who is mechanically proficient and can show you how to do the job correctly. Then the next time you would be able to 'do it yourself'.

Check the 'regional' forum here and see if there are others in the area that can lend a hand. I've helped other Strommers with maintenance items, and it's time well spent.

If you don't have a factory service manual, then get one (legitimately). Start with the small stuff and work your way up.

But don't go messing with your brakes at this point. Get some qualified assistance. I'd rather see you enjoying many years and miles on your Strom, instead of face-planting the back of a stopped garbage truck because you couldn't stop.
+1 :yesnod:

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
How do you remove the brake pads from the caliper? And do you have to drain some fluid from the master cylinder to do this job..I do not know what a tag is or a thread! Bob. I have a wee storm. 2006.
Bob,
I applaud your efforts in learning about how the systems work on your motorcycle, and learning to do maintenance and repairs yourself! A great place to start the learning process is finding a location, like this forum, to ask your question.

You found the right section of this forum to begin learning about how to replace brake pads. Not far below this thread, a forum member posted a photographic guide to illustrate how to do just that.

Here is the link to that thread: http://www.stromtrooper.com/maintenance-how/53186-how-replace-front-brake-pads.html

Up near the top of this page, there is a small, "search dialog box". That search box is "powered" by Google. I had remembered that frostypuck had put the tutorial together that I mentioned above, but I didn't want to go looking for it. So, I typed, "replacing brake pads" in the search box, and up it came!

Welcome to the forum, and don't hesitate to ask more questions!

B.L.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Bob,
I applaud your efforts in learning about how the systems work on your motorcycle, and learning to do maintenance and repairs yourself! A great place to start the learning process is finding a location, like this forum, to ask your question.

You found the right section of this forum to begin learning about how to replace brake pads. Not far below this thread, a forum member posted a photographic guide to illustrate how to do just that.

Here is the link to that thread: http://www.stromtrooper.com/maintenance-how/53186-how-replace-front-brake-pads.html

Up near the top of this page, there is a small, "search dialog box". That search box is "powered" by Google. I had remembered that frostypuck had put the tutorial together that I mentioned above, but I didn't want to go looking for it. So, I typed, "replacing brake pads" in the search box, and up it came!

Welcome to the forum, and don't hesitate to ask more questions!

B.L.
:thumbup:
With the instructions you should have no problem. I saw your profile page and it should be a piece of cake to you with that mechanic's background.
Mike

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Front brake change

Black lab, thanks for the brake change blog with the great attach pictures. The site was great. I couldn't see the pins that keep the pad pins from falling out. You can not see them until the calipers are removed. The hex head on those pins makes it appear like the pins are threaded in. Once I removed the calipers the brake assembly looke exactly like the schematic. Thanks for your help. Bobrobert

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Black lab, thanks for the brake change blog with the great attach pictures. The site was great. I couldn't see the pins that keep the pad pins from falling out. You can not see them until the calipers are removed. The hex head on those pins makes it appear like the pins are threaded in. Once I removed the calipers the brake assembly looke exactly like the schematic. Thanks for your help. Bobrobert
I was fooled too by the hex head, my first time through! Now, you are an expert! Keep on going, and learning!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts