StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a charger from ebay with a built in volt meter.

How do you put the hole in the dash for the charger? Is there a special drill bit?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Hole saw w/ a pilot drill.

Reactions: Brockie

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
They are called "Hole Saws". Used with an electric drill.
Take the plug with you when you go to the store for checking the size. Drill slowly.
Maybe practice on a plastic wastebasket or similar.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Depending on size a STEP BIT may also work.

Attachments

·
Registered
459 Posts

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
I often use Forstner bits when I'm drilling holes in plastic. They make a very sharp, clean hole when the bits are new. If you're making a through hole, the Forstner bits work best if you're able to support the piece you're drilling through with something like a piece of scrap wood under it (but they'll work without it). Make sure you go slow, or the plastic will start to melt and you'll cut a ragged messy hole.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
mmmmm plasma

Seriously though, I'd just use a holesaw and take my time.
Just remember, you can't UN-drill the hole. Be certain it's in the right place.

·
Registered
15,612 Posts
" Make sure you go slow, or the plastic will start to melt and you'll cut a ragged messy hole."

Yup, when modifying a windshield i had the saw on high speed and the plastic welded itself back together as I made my pass. I slowed the speed to a crawl and made a clean cut.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
What bike is this going on ? (don't say yours LoL)

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
No.... I ride a Strom because I'm happy to hack into it, I could not enjoy doing that to something more exotic.

I changed the power socket on the dash of my V2 to a volt meter but for other year bikes you can get mounting plates to stop the hole being a requirement.

Reactions: talonstrom72

·
Vendor
5,423 Posts
The year/model matters because of the options available to you and the challenges posed by each model. I made myself this when I needed to mount soem switches/etc on my Gen 1 V-Strom.

That was followed by a bunch more for other peple like this one (still Gen 1).

And later when the 2012 DL650 shelves that look like this.

2017+ DL650s and 2014+ DL1000s don't support the same kind of shelves around the ignition switch, but they can use one like this.

Since you are asking about adding a socket, instead of replacing the existing socket, you probably have a Gen 1 or 2 DL650 or Gen 1 DL1000.

Lot's of guys just drill holes in the plastic panels. the reason I came up with the shelf in the first place was I didn't want to drill holes in the body work, but most importantly I decided the routing of the power cords was safest going to the center of the handlebars instead of under or over them.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The year/model matters because of the options available to you and the challenges posed by each model. I made myself this when I needed to mount soem switches/etc on my Gen 1 V-Strom.

That was followed by a bunch more for other peple like this one (still Gen 1).

And later when the 2012 DL650 shelves that look like this.

2017+ DL650s and 2014+ DL1000s don't support the same kind of shelves around the ignition switch, but they can use one like this.

Since you are asking about adding a socket, instead of replacing the existing socket, you probably have a Gen 1 or 2 DL650 or Gen 1 DL1000.

Lot's of guys just drill holes in the plastic panels. the reason I came up with the shelf in the first place was I didn't want to drill holes in the body work, but most importantly I decided the routing of the power cords was safest going to the center of the handlebars instead of under or over them.
Yes I have a 2007 DL650. As long as there is an inline fuse, it still seems alright under or over the bars. Or did you mean it could get wrapped around your neck in an accident?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Lots of different (and good) advice- I used a hole saw for the dash of my 2012. Just make sure of your DEPTH requirement for your outlet! You may think you have the perfect location to cut a hole, BUT, there may be some metal fairing support brackets, etc. in the way, behind that plastic.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts