StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked this question on a classified post and am getting answers, from members, on how they did a bike purchase. I'm surprised at the chances, some have taken.
Let's eliminate the insured part, and assume at least they had coverage. I believe, some states, will issue, private parties, a temporary plate, some won't, etc., etc., etc.
I asked this question at my motor vehicle agency and could not get an answer.
I'm not looking for an answer about how you used another plate, registration, or how you lived by the seat of you pants and winged it. I like to know, how it's done properly, so if you're unlucky enough to get stopped and checked by the law, the bike isn't impounded and you spend time behind bars in another state or country.

·
Super Moderator
4,626 Posts
In the US, isn't an out-of-Stater allowed to buy and ride the bike home on the plate currently on the bike?

We can keep interstate plates for up to 3 months. There's no problem insuring the bike here.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,440 Posts
In the US, isn't an out-of-Stater allowed to buy and ride the bike home on the plate currently on the bike?
No. That is considered "improper registration" in many states. Yes, insurance is usually not a problem even if you don't yet hold ownership of the bike. There are two ways to do it right. Research the selling owners state to see if you can go to the local department of motor vehicles and obtain a temporary license. You will need proof of ownership, insurance, sometimes a signed mileage statement and so forth. That allows cross country travel in the US with no issues. Maybe good across borders, but I do NOT know for sure. Secondly you can work through a motorcycle dealer. This is called an "In and Out" in the business. You will pay them a fee for handling the transaction, which might be $100-$300 but you will have to find that out. They, on paper, make it look like they buy the bike from the seller then immediately sell it to you. They have all the forms onsite to facilitate the sale, especially the temporary license plates. ( this is especially good for the seller if he is buying a new bike as the one being "traded" in will allow tax credits on the new bike. That makes up for the transaction fee and then some on occasion ).

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I feel the person out and if they seem responsible they can ride it home on my insurance and registration and I'll cancel when they get home. Also have them send you your plates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
As long as you have a signed title and your insurance company knows about it you should be good to go yes?

Don't take off the plates until you get it home.

As far as getting pulled over on a new bike, well you see officer I just got this bike and wanted to see what she would do!

Might work. :grin2:

·
Registered
15,623 Posts
In Calif, you fill out a form and send it to DMV or do it on line and it releases you of liability at the sale. What happens after that is the buyers problem.
You'd want to call and cancel Ins too.
Buyer can call their INS and get it as of the purchase.
I had the police call and tell me my car was in impound, did I want to come get it? I'd already done the paper work and the buyer never out the car in their name.
There were no further problems.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
In Illinois, the license plates stay with the original owner. It would be illegal for me to leave the plates on a bike I sold. That's why it's necessary to check with the DMV of both states to make sure the proper procedure is followed. There may also be sales tax issues. Different states have different policies on sales to out of state buyers and different policies between dealer sales and owner sales.

·
Registered
22,323 Posts

We can keep interstate plates for up to 3 months. There's no problem insuring the bike here.
every state has its own rules, regulations and or laws in this regard, the United States is not a country divided up into states, it is a union of individual and autonomous states, much like the EU is a union of separate countries

·
Registered
597 Posts
That is what I did on my Fly and Ride to Washington State. Had Proof of insurance, Bill of sale with date and time of sale, Washington State title showing the transfer of ownership and I used the PO's plates to ride back to Colorado via California. Of course in Washington the plates stay with the Vehicle. When I got home I cut the plates in a few pieces and sent the PO a picture of the destroyed plates. Of course remember to ride responsible and not get stopped for being stupid. Getting a Temp Tag in Colorado is a real pain in the Butt.

·
Super Moderator
4,626 Posts
every state has its own rules, regulations and or laws in this regard, the United States is not a country divided up into states, it is a union of individual and autonomous states, much like the EU is a union of separate countries
Much the same here. The States were separate colonies until Federation in 1901. Western Australia (a State that occupies 1/3rd of the country) very nearly didn't join.

The States set the Road rules, which for the most part, follow the National Road Rules which were agreed a few years back. (The States also look after health, education, policing, etc., for their people.)

·
Registered
597 Posts
I asked this question on a classified post and am getting answers, from members, on how they did a bike purchase. I'm surprised at the chances, some have taken.
Let's eliminate the insured part, and assume at least they had coverage. I believe, some states, will issue, private parties, a temporary plate, some won't, etc., etc., etc.
I asked this question at my motor vehicle agency and could not get an answer.
I'm not looking for an answer about how you used another plate, registration, or how you lived by the seat of you pants and winged it. I like to know, how it's done properly, so if you're unlucky enough to get stopped and checked by the law, the bike isn't impounded and you spend time behind bars in another state or country.
In Colorado to be able to get a temp plate I needed to have the title of the vehicle which I am sure the seller was not going to give me until he got paid. Also was a ridiculous price. Each and every state is going to have there own rules. Pick one and try and follow it. Crossing into a different country is a different story. I would not even try and fool with that. Of course you could drive and trailer back. I have done that also. More expensive but no worries about legalities.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Now we're getting somewhere.

You will pay them a fee for handling the transaction, which might be $100-$300 but you will have to find that out. They, on paper, make it look like they buy the bike from the seller then immediately sell it to you.
I would feel satisfied, doing that. Of course, that fee, plus whatever it going to cost you, to get to the bikes location, then drive it home, now might not make to such an attractive deal, that you thought it was.

I feel the person out and if they seem responsible they can ride it home on my insurance and registration and I'll cancel when they get home. Also have them send you your plates.
Leading my plates is something I'd never do, unless I somehow was sure, I'd have not responsibility legally or financially.
As long as you have a signed title and your insurance company knows about it you should be good to go yes?
Don't take off the plates until you get it home.
That's fine, if your insurance company, gives you the go, but I don't think many would let you borrow the plates. I would think they would still be liable for damages and medical fees, condoning use.

In Calif, you fill out a form and send it to DMV or do it on line and it releases you of liability at the sale. What happens after that is the buyers problem.
You'd want to call and cancel Ins too.
Buyer can call their INS and get it as of the purchase.
I had the police call and tell me my car was in impound, did I want to come get it? I'd already done the paper work and the buyer never out the car in their name.
There were no further problems.
that's a nice black and white answer. I'd feel comfortable with a form off the DMV's site.

In Illinois, the license plates stay with the original owner. It would be illegal for me to leave the plates on a bike I sold. That's why it's necessary to check with the DMV of both states to make sure the proper procedure is followed. There may also be sales tax issues. Different states have different policies on sales to out of state buyers and different policies between dealer sales and owner sales.
Tax issues are another thing, your gonna pay to one state or another, if your gonna register the vehicle. As you said, check with your state and theirs. Man, it's as complicated a transporting a gun.

In Colorado to be able to get a temp plate I needed to have the title of the vehicle which I am sure the seller was not going to give me until he got paid. Also was a ridiculous price. Each and every state is going to have there own rules. Pick one and try and follow it. Crossing into a different country is a different story. I would not even try and fool with that. Of course you could drive and trailer back. I have done that also. More expensive but no worries about legalities.
Trailers relieve you of this subject. this once again, sours the deal, by adding possibly hundreds of extra dollars. In example, the post that I started this one from, the guy is in Ohio, and wants $7000 for his bike. Now to trailer from NJ to there, would jack the good deal to, not a good deal. If he where further west it would get even less attractive.

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
Trailers relieve you of this subject. this once again, sours the deal, by adding possibly hundreds of extra dollars. In example, the post that I started this one from, the guy is in Ohio, and wants $7000 for his bike. Now to trailer from NJ to there, would jack the good deal to, not a good deal. If he where further west it would get even less attractive.
you can rent a one way U-haul trailer for under $25/day, even if I owned a trailer, I would still rent one cause I wouldn't have to tow it both ways

·
Administrator
6,409 Posts

Your DMV's seem to have turned something that is very simple here (and surely must happen regularly) into something very complicated and costly.

·
Super Moderator
4,626 Posts
you can rent a one way U-haul trailer for under $25/day, even if I owned a trailer, I would still rent one cause I wouldn't have to tow it both ways
Man, that is cheap compared with here!

·
Registered
615 Posts
As a CT resident, I would:

1. send the seller a check for the bike
2. receive the title and Bill of Sale in the mail
3. call insurance carrier and add the VIN to my insurance
4. Go to DMV, register the bike with title in hand and receive plates.
5. Fly to Ohio, install plates and ride home legally

This does require you to trust the seller unless he is willing to swap steps 1 and 2.

whatever you decide, good luck.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Elaborating on my post in the for sale ad.....

As I stated there, for those that didn't see it, I rode a C14 from NH to WA a couple of years ago for a friend. He lives in WA, purchased it from a private party back east. Might have been in MA, but in any case that's where I picked it up, stayed a few more days in NH on business, then started back home.

The title had been transferred prior to me picking it up. I carried a letter from the buyer saying it was okay for me to ride it. He had insurance on it; I had insurance because I am covered on anything I ride. I had a temporary WA plate to put on when I picked it up, and the WA registration to carry with me. I rode back west, first heading north into Canada, with nary a concern other than the possibility of snow in the Rockies (I left NH on October 28th). All the paperwork I figured was necessary was in order. I looked at it as little to no different than heading out on a multi-state trip on my own bike. That was a great trip. Passing a string of 4 semis on a two lane highway in Montana at 110mph while still in third gear was just one of many fun moments. :)

If I were do it again, but riding my own purchase, I would be clear on the rules in the selling state regarding the plates. If they can't go with the bike, I would be sure to pay, transfer title, and bring WA registration with me. We're fortunate, like most states in the west, that we don't have to do the silly yearly inspection thing. So I would not have to bring the bike in for inspection before being able to get that registration.

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
Not sure how applicable this is to you, but here in Alberta, we have 2 weeks to transfer the plates from another bike to the new one. As was stated earlier, insurance is not an issue. Just have the VIN and you can insure it. Take an old plate (off of your existing bike) and put it on the new one. Gives you 2 weeks to get the new bike home.
May not be applicable in your neck of the woods but may be worth checking out.

Rod

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I flew out to Texas last month and bought an '09 St1300P and rode 1800 miles home. As always, I procured insurance prior to flying out and had the paper proof with me. I purchased from a dealer so the gave me a 30 day temporary operating "permit" but as it was previously a Police bike, it had no plate. In many states one can get a TOP, vehicle trip permit or movement permit online if you're worried. I wouldn't think most LE would bother with specifics as long as all the documentation is in hand. We have done a lot of fly and rides without a problem.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts