StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, it's starting to get cold - OK, it's cold - and I'm determined to ride my new (to me) 650 in cold weather. Problem is, I don't have very good gloves for that sort of thing. What do you wear or suggest? I'd prefer one that's primarily leather and waterproof without blowing the budget. I'm open for suggestions.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have three pairs of gloves. Mesh one's for the summer - no gauntlet so the air can go up your sleeve. "Regular ones" for the Spring and Fall with a gaunlet to go over the sleeves of my jacket. And these big honking thick TourMaster gloves for the winter. Makes your hands look like the Pillsbury Dough Boy, but they keep you warm.

- Tom

·
Registered
314 Posts
I wear an extra pair of ski gloves when it's below 45. I try to avoid temps below freezing, but have been out in upper 20s. Textile with leather palms, GoreTex lined, and insulated with some space-age/NASA stuff. Not too bulky. Works for me. YMMV...

I think that part of the key to keeping your hands warm is to keep your head and core/body warm. Your body will sacrifice the extremities to keep organs warm. So if you're body is warm, then there is extra heat to send to the hands, feet, etc.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have found that besides good cold weather gloves, the Suzuki handguards help a great deal!

Proud to be Wee Willie!

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,040 Posts
Joe Rocket Drytech's are good into the 30's even in the rain for me. It's Gerbings heated gloves after that.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I.C.F.T.; You don't say where your located so cold to you may differ from my deffinition . I ride into the single degree temps ( less if you count wind chill)
for cold temps joe rocket gauntlet text. w/ Jacob Ash Mylar/PolyPro liners.
If thats not sufficient I add North Face Steptech over gloves w/gore-tex . and if it gets really cold I add handwarmers to the steeptech's . But Heated grips are on the Xmas list;)
Jack

·
Registered
321 Posts
Olympia "Cold Throttle" or First Gear "Voyager" gloves, Suzuki hand guards and Dual Star grip heaters. The nice thing about the guards and heaters is that they're always there, no matter which gloves I happen to be wearing.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for the input. I'm in Indiana, so I'm sure many of you ride in colder temps than me. I just hate cold weather almost as much as I hate driving my old pickup truck to work. Heated grips are definitely on the Christmas list, but I'll probably need to pick up a decent set of gloves very soon. Seems like a lot of praise for TourMasters.

By the way, after pricing the OE heated grips, I got to looking at aftermarket alternatives and found this one. http://www.powersportrider.com/cgi-bin/zcatjpg Pick the '06 Street catalog and look at page 578, bottom left. It looks like the wiring connectors may be different, but that looks like the OE setup at a fraction of the price.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Keep Warm

I echo some of the posts below. No matter what kind of gloves you go with, hand guards will be worth every cent (and they are not expensive).

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
Thank you all for the input. I'm in Indiana, so I'm sure many of you ride in colder temps than me. I just hate cold weather almost as much as I hate driving my old pickup truck to work. Heated grips are definitely on the Christmas list, but I'll probably need to pick up a decent set of gloves very soon. Seems like a lot of praise for TourMasters.

By the way, after pricing the OE heated grips, I got to looking at aftermarket alternatives and found this one. http://www.powersportrider.com/cgi-bin/zcatjpg Pick the '06 Street catalog and look at page 578, bottom left. It looks like the wiring connectors may be different, but that looks like the OE setup at a fraction of the price.
3 part strategy for me. Tourmaster winter Elite gloves, OEM hand guards, and heated grips. Try www.murphskits.com for the heaters, I think they're only $35 shipping included.
With that setup my hands are fine, it's my feet that eventually make me stop.

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
Stock handguards on my V and the addition of heated grips make me comfortable in most temps. Even wearing my perforated leather gloves on a cold day, only the back of my thumbs get cold.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
3 part strategy for me. Tourmaster winter Elite gloves, OEM hand guards, and heated grips. Try www.murphskits.com for the heaters, I think they're only $35 shipping included.
With that setup my hands are fine, it's my feet that eventually make me stop.
The Tourmaster Winter Elite gloves are my favorite pair down to 40°F. After that, even with handguards and heated grips, I need electric and I use both Gerbing and Widder.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I'm sure its not too common, but what I wear when it gets real cold is elk skin mittens. Not as good of feel as with gloves, but better than with numb fingers.

oh...handguards and heated grips worth every cent.

·
Registered
91 Posts
when buying winter gloves, be sure they can work the controls well too. In the store, I really liked the Olympia "Trailmaster II". However the warm'n'comfy inner liner slides relative to the outside of the glove. Kind of like wearing a badger. It made fine control difficult and not confidence-inspiring, and I had to return them.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
So, it's starting to get cold - OK, it's cold - and I'm determined to ride my new (to me) 650 in cold weather. Problem is, I don't have very good gloves for that sort of thing. What do you wear or suggest? I'd prefer one that's primarily leather and waterproof without blowing the budget. I'm open for suggestions.
'Zuke heated grips! A+, variable adjustment is sweet and much better than the Lo, Med, Hi settings some heated grips have.

Other than that I have a pair of Joe Rocket cold weather gloves, they are not good. They are very warm and waterproof but the multiple layers reduces grip feel. I only wear them if it's the only way I can get home.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts