StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, there I was enjoying a sandwich and coffee at some roadside gas station in the back hills of PA. In rides a pack of 4 sport bikes with straight pipes. They were revving their engines and "cutting up" as some might say.

They were clad in various forms of attire, none of which came close to ATGATT and none of which included a helmet (PA is a helmet optional state).

They hung out long enough to get gas, buy some soda, and joke about the big ugly yellow bike (my Wee) parked out front.

So, I finished my coffee and sandwich and watched them pull away in my direction of travel. About 10 mins later I saddled up and rolled out. It was a mountain road with little traffic so I decided to ... well, ride.

Wound up one side of the mountain and i was the only peice of moving metal on the road. Started down the other side and, low and behold, there's the squid pack. They took up the whole damn lane and were easing through corners.

Squids :thumbdown:

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I do not bother to define any of the following..

1) a squid
2) an adv rider
3) a pirate
4) a tourer
5) a newbie

Why bother, we are all brothers and out for the same reason. I hate to break it to you but your big yellow bike looks just as funny as my big blue one. I am only concerned with what "I" think about how, where, and what I ride.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do not bother to define any of the following..

1) a squid
2) an adv rider
3) a pirate
4) a tourer
5) a newbie

Why bother, we are all brothers and out for the same reason. I hate to break it to you but your big yellow bike looks just as funny as my big blue one. I am only concerned with what "I" think about how, where, and what I ride.
Being a Motorcycle Safety Officer for my DoD agency, I have to clearly delineate between newbies and seasoned riders. I also have to deal with the occasional squid (far fewer in the military) and make sure they (squids and newbies) get proper DoD mandated motorcycle riding training. Items 2 through 4 make no never mind to me. Squids (especially squids that stunt on crowded roads) are only a concern to me in so much as they present a real risk to others.

And, for what its worth, I support helmet choice. I choose to wear one and I support others' rights not to.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
SQUID (skwd)
n.
A device that measures minute changes in magnetic flux by means of a pair of Josephson junctions, often used to detect extremely small changes in magnetic fields, electric currents, and voltages.
squid (skwd)
n. pl. squids or squid
Any of various marine cephalopod mollusks of the genus Loligo and related genera, having a usually elongated body, ten arms surrounding the mouth, a vestigial internal shell, and a pair of triangular or rounded fins.
SQUID
abbreviation for
(Physics / Nuclear Physics) superconducting quantum interference device
squid1
n pl squid, squids
(Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Animals) any of various fast-moving pelagic cephalopod molluscs of the genera Loligo, Ommastrephes, etc., of most seas, having a torpedo-shaped body ranging from about 10 centimetres to 16.5 metres long and a pair of triangular tail fins: order Decapoda (decapods) See also cuttlefish
vb squids, squidding, squidded
(Engineering / Aeronautics) (intr) (of a parachute) to assume an elongated squidlike shape owing to excess air pressure [of unknown origin]
squid2
n
(Economics, Accounting & Finance / Currencies) Brit slang a pound sterling
[rhyming slang for quid]

·
Administrator
14,222 Posts
... Started down the other side and, low and behold, there's the squid pack. They took up the whole damn lane and were easing through corners.

Squids :thumbdown:

So if they were ATGATT But riding faster through the corners would that make them safer riders?

..Tom

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So if they were ATGATT But riding faster through the corners would that make them safer riders?

..Tom
Nope. If they were wearing ATGATT and going fast through the curves and still acted like punks, they'd still meet my definition of squid. They'd just be a fast moving, well protected, group of squids (or school as ozart points out). I, in my first few years of riding, hadn't seen enough accidents to realize the importance of safety equipment. There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid can't.

My issue is with them is the fact that they were acting like idiots.

Now - riding fast, in and of itself, does not necessarily qualify one as an idiot (i.e. squid). Riding fast in a manner that presents danger to others - who have made no conscious decision to take part in said stupidity - does qualify one as an idiot (i.e. squid). Many good examples of squids can be seen on Hwy 1 in Monterey, CA.

So to recap, squid in my definition of squid (to the original topic of the thread) is any one that rides who that acts like a moron or anyone that rides like a moron.

·
Administrator
14,222 Posts
So to recap, squid in my definition of squid (to the original topic of the thread) is any one that rides who that acts like a moron or anyone that rides like a moron.
But you said they were "easing through corners". That sounds like they rode like little old ladies (or little old men!) I suspect that many would say that is the way they should be riding. :)

..Tom

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
I've seen quite a few of your Squids on the local mountains and wasn't impressed. Like motor homes, fast in the straights and SLUGS in the twisties.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
But you said they were "easing through corners". That sounds like they rode like little old ladies (or little old men!) I suspect that many would say that is the way they should be riding. :)

..Tom

These are PA hills ... not west coast Mountains. So "twisties" here aren't the same as west coast twisties... but these guys were tip toeing through the corners. Under the posted, reduced for corner, speed. :thumb down:

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
My definition of a squid is: under experienced, over confident, and lacking in the wisdom necessary for good riding decisions.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
My definition of a squid is: under experienced, over confident, and lacking in the wisdom necessary for good riding decisions.
Will you let me do my own description? Ok, what he said and more.

You're spoilin' my attempt to establish my own reputation.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
SQUID (skwd)
n.
A device that measures minute changes in magnetic flux by means of a pair of Josephson junctions, often used to detect extremely small changes in magnetic fields, electric currents, and voltages.
....[...]
Oooh, you mean a superconducting quantum interference device? I really really want a whole bunch of those; they're totally super ultra-cool toys, especially when arrayed around someone's head...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts