StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first bike with fuel injection--how do I properly warm my lovely up before twisting the throttle and riding her hard?

·
Administrator
13,486 Posts
Warm up does no good to the engine and isn't needed. You start it and ride away (moderately.) After several minutes oil temp will be up and you can boot it.

..Tom

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
You can give it a few seconds to get the oil pressure up, then start riding. It's best to keep it under 5000rpm until you see one heat bar and don't red line it until you see two. The Glee will warm up in a hurry due to the coolant/oil heat exchanger. It may surge a little when cold but it warms up fastest under a light load so don't idle it. That just wastes fuel, increases air pollution and lengthens time to warm up.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can give it a few seconds to get the oil pressure up, then start riding. It's best to keep it under 5000rpm until you see one heat bar and don't red line it until you see two. The Glee will warm up in a hurry due to the coolant/oil heat exchanger. It may surge a little when cold but it warms up fastest under a light load so don't idle it. That just wastes fuel, increases air pollution and lengthens time to warm up.
So I'm, "warming up" by operating "moderately" rather than letting idle in the driveway?

·
Administrator
13,486 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Even though you have your answer, what I do is start it, throw on jacket, helmet, and gloves then go. Usually by then it's got one temp bar or it comes on shortly after. I have a short ride to the hiway and it's usually got up to two bars and is good to go from there. No real science, it's actually a luxury!! Just start and go!! Good luck!

·
Registered
15,046 Posts
Except for really freezing temps, I've never 'warmed' a bike up. If you must, it's best done on a steep drive way with the bike pointing down hill on the side stand.
Then when it starts to run away as you have your hands full of helmet you will get an adrenaline rush and both you and the bike will be ready to go!
Honestly though, occasionally I will start the bike before I put on the jacket and gloves and helmet to be sure that it will start. Then I turn it off, get geared up and go.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Every engine benefits from a proper warm up. The best way to warm a vehicle engine is, as soon as it'll run smoothly, drive it easy. GW gives a good routine. Idle is a poor way to warm it up, as is hard running.

·
Registered
60 Posts
i think the subject has been nailed here but im going to throw in my 2c as well, i find that if i kick the bike in neutral and start it up on the stand, by the time i get my jacket on, helmet done up and on the bike i get 1 bar on the temp, i ride my bike ALL year round and last year i did have a full month of below 0C temps, i did allow it to warm up quite a bit before going then. helps that i have a coffee shop right across the road heh :D

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
your opinion noted. i disagree.
Do some research on the subject. Unless you're one of those "My mind is made up, don't confuse me with the facts" people, you'll change your mind.

That is unless the objection is to "warm up does no good". It's idling before riding that does no good. Starting it and riding moderately right away is warming up.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
My only "get off" was the result of a cold bike and stupidity.

Cold carb and to fast. Dropped into a corner and gunned it, killed the bike, panicked, hit the curb and was ejected, that nice tree slowed me down when I planted my helmet into it.

My buddy on the warm bike said my bike flipped end over end 3 times.

I was wearing all my gear but gloves, we were on our way to get fueled for a long ride.

I put on all my gear, straddle the bike. Start it, then helmet and gloves. Then I putt in 1st up my 125 meter driveway. By the time I get to the road I have 1 bar temp. Then I ride easy till I hit 2 bars.

Then it's on!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

1 - 20 of 40 Posts