StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to purchase Grip Puppies for my 'strom but have noticed that the original handgrips have a flange over the outside end.

What gives? How could I slip the grip puppies over the flange?
Do I trim the flange off?

Or should I just call a plumber or something...

Toodles,

Janice, confused in Toronto where it's damn cold.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The puppies will expand enough to get over. It takes soapy water and persuasion. If they are longer than the present grip, trim them to length first. It may be easier to run the puppy half over itself so one end is inside the other end. It's harder to expand that way, but you only have to get it on half way then run the outside half to cover the rest of the grip.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Just finished doing this last night. A little soapy water inside the grip puppy and a little over the grip on the bike. I was able to get it over the end but it does take a little persuasion. I did not cut the new grip or the old one. I just squeezed it all on.

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.

Thanks for the information guys.

This website rocks. Post a question and get answers almost instantly.

Now I'll go order the Grip Puppies.

Toodles,

Janice in Toronto where it's way cold...

·
Registered
386 Posts
I put mine on with some dishwashing soap and a little water, but I've got big hands and being married 17 years I've got a strong grip............. :)

If you don't have enough grip strength warming them a little should help.

·
0 Posts
When I installed Grip Puppies on my last bike, I actually ruined the first set I got trying to install them. They were SOOOO tight, I tore them.

Here's the trick.

Run your tap water as HOT as it goes.
Fill a small pitcher with the hot water and let the GP soak for a while, maybe 20 minutes. This will really help them soften up.
Lube them on the inside with dishwasher soap and slide them on as fast as possible after taking them out of the hot water.

They are designed to be tight, so don't give up.

You'll love them!!!

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I installed Grip Puppies on my last bike, I actually ruined the first set I got trying to install them. They were SOOOO tight, I tore them.

Here's the trick.

Run your tap water as HOT as it goes.
Fill a small pitcher with the hot water and let the GP soak for a while, maybe 20 minutes. This will really help them soften up.
Lube them on the inside with dishwasher soap and slide them on as fast as possible after taking them out of the hot water.

They are designed to be tight, so don't give up.

You'll love them!!!
Thanks for the info. Also, your new avatar is -very- nice indeed.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Used a couple of squirts of the wifes hairspray on the grips. Kept them slippery long enough for easily sliding into proper position.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The air compressor does work real easy.
I didn't use anything on the inside of the grip puppies they held just fine.

I did use the hair spray trick for my grips and it works real good and if you need to get them off a little air and they come off no problem.

Fred

·
Registered
4 Posts
Blow is the way to go!

Thanks for the air compressor idea, installed my grip puppies in about two minutes each side. I just stretched it over the end , pinched the open end over the nozzle and blew it on as far as it would go. Then I rolled it up on itself past the flange. Couple more air squirts and tug to get it all the way on, roll it back down and you're done. No mess, no fuss, and no soapy hairspray ;)

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I rolled the end back an inch and put some tubeless tire rim sealant on. After putting it back in place, the thing hasn't moved but it will be easy enough to take off when necessary.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Substitutes

Thanks for the information guys.

This website rocks. Post a question and get answers almost instantly.

Now I'll go order the Grip Puppies.

Toodles,

Janice in Toronto where it's way cold...
There are some real values out there on grip puppies if you look around. Things like the grips off a Scwinn Air Dyne exercise bike. I think there's something sold at Canadian Tire that I've read about ?

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There are some real values out there on grip puppies if you look around. Things like the grips off a Scwinn Air Dyne exercise bike. I think there's something sold at Canadian Tire that I've read about ?
I looked at Crappy Tire and they had nothing that would work. Then I went to a pretty big bicycle shop and there was nothing there.

Ordered the grip puppies, they were cheap enough.

Thanks for the info though.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts