StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What the hell?
I feel like an idiot posting this....but...I can't figure out how to get the damn things down when I want to take a passenger.
Luckily, it's rare enough that I do this that it hasn't really been an issue before. However, I have done it before, and I certainly don't remember it being this difficult. I don't remember how I did it last time, though.

Is there some kind of trick needed, perhaps integrated on the pegs to prevent them from falling down while riding solo?
I've tried every trick of which I can think.

I've tried pulling up on them.
I've tried pushing down on them.
I've tried twisting them.
I've tried pushing in on the pin.
I've tried pushing the twin from the other side.
I've checked to make sure there were no rocks or other obstructions lodged in the hing.
I've tried washing and lubing the hinge.
I've tried brute force.
I've tried a rubber mallet.
I've tried a crowbar.

The crowbar worked on the right side. Still can't get the left side down.
When I pry down the right side, it releases with a loud "crack". I inspect everything, and it seems completely normal. I can't see anything that would make it this difficult.
No resistance flipping it back up again, just a soft click as it goes back into position, but then if I try to get it back down, it's back to the crowbar.

What the heck am I doing wrong?

The number of passengers I take with an amputated left leg is very small, and even then it's not always easy to find an easily accessable crowbar.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm really not.

Though with this next to the centerstand thread, I can see where you'd get that impression!

Seriously, though...is there something very seriously wrong with my passenger pegs?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Try a little lubrication on the pivots. Evidently they've corroded in place. Mine flip down easily by hand.
I will remove the snap rings and give everything a nice bit of lube as soon as I get a chance.

However, if they corroded in place, why does it lock up again as soon as I flip them up again?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Please excuse the fact that I do not know the correct terminology, however, However, your description makes this the obvious problem:

The pin that makes the "click" is designed to keep the pegs up. The pins are held in place by springs and normally move out of the way with pressure. They are not moving. They are corroded in place. The pegs go up because there is a taper or ramp. The pegs do not come down because they are seated in a depression or hole with non or steeply tapered edges.

Repair or replace the pins. Forcing the pegs wil cause damage, likely to the pins because they should be a softer material.

Sorry, I thought you were joking too, until your problem made sense.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Please excuse the fact that I do not know the correct terminology, however, However, your description makes this the obvious problem:

The pin that makes the "click" is designed to keep the pegs up. The pins are held in place by springs and normally move out of the way with pressure. They are not moving. They are corroded in place. The pegs go up because there is a taper or ramp. The pegs do not come down because they are seated in a depression or hole with non or steeply tapered edges.

Repair or replace the pins. Forcing the pegs wil cause damage, likely to the pins because they should be a softer material.

Sorry, I thought you were joking too, until your problem made sense.
Thanks. That makes perfect sense.

But if the pegs are seated in a depression without tapered edges, how do the pins move out of the way normally? Seems like they'd need some taper to move them out of the way.

I'm sure this will make more sense once I take them apart.

What could possibly make the pins corrode like that?

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Thanks. That makes perfect sense.

But if the pegs are seated in a depression without tapered edges, how do the pins move out of the way normally? Seems like they'd need some taper to move them out of the way.

I'm sure this will make more sense once I take them apart.

What could possibly make the pins corrode like that?

Obviously going up stream is the culprit.

Don't you know you're only supposed to cross at a 90 deg. angle to the creek flow?

·
Registered
279 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, I opened them up.

There's a little ball bearing that going into a slot with a spring.
A bit rusted, in my case.
Cleaned em up, put on some grease, and now they're working good as new.
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm glad you asked the question. I discovered one of mine did not want to fold down last week. I kept messing with the little aluminum tab thinking it was a locking mechanism. After reading your findings I can fix it today.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
A little lubrication applied between the foot peg and the check ball seating plate will prevent this sticking condition. For those of you laughing about it, It does happen. :confused:

·
Registered
390 Posts
A little lubrication applied between the foot peg and the check ball seating plate will prevent this sticking condition. For those of you laughing about it, It does happen. :confused:
It's true, and you'll be standing outside with your woman giving you the look screaming bloody murder at an uncaring sky if it happens to you.

Also, push the peg in a little, jiggle it, push toward the front of the bike, then flip down will work until you can get home and re-grease the sucker.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Skippii, that bike looks a bit too clean for my liking, stop showing pictures like that or I might feel the urge to wash mine :)

By the way I had the exact same problem recently, as I hadn't used the rear footpegs for two years, bit of lube and hey presto, but I was beginning to think someone had glued them in place for a joke. Now theres an idea :cool:......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts