StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Administrator
17,520 Posts
Gotta pull the panel off, then take a syringe and suck out the fluid. You can then manually bleed the system, but be sure to keep the reservoir topped off the whole time so no air is introduced into system.

·
Registered
409 Posts
If you're just flushing/refilling the fluid, I just undo the front mounting screw of the panel, and that gives enough space to stick a thin funnel down there and refill it and flush out the old fluid. No need to remove the panel or my luggage rack, which is a big pita.

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
Also

An old-style cafe ketchup bottle (squeezable plastic with spout) with a short length of hose attached will allow access without removing everything, both for sucking out the old fluid as well as adding new.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Why does it need brake fluid added?
1)--it wasn't filled enough in the beginning, and normal wear on the brake pads leaves more fluid in the caliper.
2)--it has a leak that needs to be fixed.

1)--how thick is the friction material on the brake pads. If that's real thin, renew the pads, clean the caliper slides, flush & renew the brake fluid.

2)--find the leak & fix it, then flush & renew the fluid.

Brake fluid is made to absorb humidity from the air. Moisture will get into the system, and it is better for the fluid to disperse through the fluid than puddle in the caliper and cause a problem. But...the moisture laden fluid will flash to vapor under the heat of emergency braking, giving you no brakes at all. Flush and renew the fluid every 2 years. Any brand of DOT4 brake fluid is the right stuff. The chemicals that make DOT4 fluid safe at higher temperatures than DOT3 also make it absorb moisture more readily.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts