StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...to make a mount for fog lights?

Am thinking that an engine guard won't really protect the bike and could fabricate a unit just for lights, mounting it to the same places where the guards would go, then clamping some cheapo lights on it.

Am wanting to customize my '05 DL650, but need to keep the costs in line as my soon-to-be fiancés future ring is more important :?

Any other ideas would be welcomed.

Cheers,

Lang

·
Registered
369 Posts
I can't imagine it being very difficult to do. You can mount them with an aluminum strip that you can get from Home Dept. I would think that your forks would be a good place or maybe under rhea faring.

Wingman

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am not sure if you already have a set of lights but I just bought PIAA lights that can be mounted directly onto the front shock where your fender is mounted (using the same bolts).
http://www.amotostuff.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=2001-0006&Category_Code=dl1000_electrical
Try this link. I am not much of an electrical man but this was actually easy to put on. You can also check
http://www.amotostuff.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=AMS_Vstrom_lbrkt&Category_Code=dl1000_electrical
This is just a bracket for the same PIAA lights.
www.amotostuff.com is actually a great online store that has some neat items for the Strom.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'll put some pics together and send them to you. They do look awesome! Especially going down the road.

W

·
0 Posts
My fog lights are mounted to the fender using extended stainless steel bolts to replace the original bolts. They are rock-solid there, and they are low (where you want fog lights) so they shoot under the fog.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Slightly off topic, but what sort of mirrors do you have on your bike Warhammer? They look great! I am after some in the Ducati Multistrada style, and yours appear to be just the thing I've been looking for.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Warhammer said:
My fog lights are mounted to the fender using extended stainless steel bolts to replace the original bolts. They are rock-solid there, and they are low (where you want fog lights) so they shoot under the fog.
The fog lights really increase visibility too. Warhammer followed me for a while returning from the TWT pie run and they really show up in the rearviews!
He was definantly the farkle king of the Strom bunch! :D You need to show these guys that neat switch on your dash. I want a set of those mirrors also. Has Squeaky demanded her seat back yet?

W

·
0 Posts
Hey Barney, the mirrors are Emgo Mark IIs, with LED signals added on by yours truly. The really weren't bright enough, so I ended up going with flush-mount markers in the original position. I tried Emgo's "Ducati Style" mirrors with built-in turn signals, but they were truly a disappointment. The glass was too small, the lights too dim, and the mirrors were VERY buzzy. I tried installing bright bulbs, but I just ended up melting the lenses! Oh well, your never know until you try.

Thanks for the kind words, V-lust! I've been told by several people that this light arrangment really makes the bike more visible. As for the switch that you mentioned:

Squeaky and I will be swapping seats again at the next TWT Pie Run. Her Mayer seat was built for someone WAY taller than me. My next farkleization (is that a word?) will probably be lower aluminum bars, and then I'll start looking to the seat.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm trying to get there!

I am computer illiterate. I cannot figure out how to send photos. If you, or someone else, can let me know, please!

W

·
0 Posts
wingman said:
Warhammer,
What type of switches are they and where did you get them?

WIngman
The switch is made by Pilot and is available at AutoZone, Pep Boys, Advance Auto Parts, etc... for about $35.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts