StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.
I am new to the list and as well to the wee (2011). I was out riding in a rain storm yesterday with road flooding. I was wondering how deep you can safely submerge a wee and still make it out. I would think the air intake is high under the seat? also would water get in engine case any where? Or electrical system? Also I was thinking about getting a center stand. Is the stock stand or after market the way to go? I wonder how they would work with skid plate added later. On that Yann's looks good. I see you have to remount the oil cooler is this the way to go over the other styles that leave the cooler in place.
Thanks.
Wayne

·
Ex- moderator
1,131 Posts
I rode my V through a 300yd flooded section of the Trans-Canada last June..the water was at my ankles as I stood on the pegs...The water for comparison purposes was very slightly above axle depth of a tractor trailer. Pictures available.......

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
As to water entering the engine, it all depends in what direction the motorcycle is orientated in when the water is introduced to it.

In the photo below, the water entered the cylinders of my motorcycle very easily through the exhaust pipe.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
The intake is under the fuel tank and the exhaust is also high. The high voltage wiring to the spark plugs doesn't like to work under water very well so you want to keep that up. The big deal is to keep the bike upright. There are a lot of strong forces at work when water gets to the level of the engine that want to upset the bike and traction is poor to awful. Drop the bike and the intake/exhaust get much lower as the picture shows.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Kill the engine if there is any chance of water getting into the airbox. 15 years ago I was commting home after torrential rains on my first bike, a little CB250. I cut the engine, pushed it through standing water that neatly reached the seat (exhaust completely submerged). On the other side, I cranked the (engine with the ignition killed) to push water out of the exhaust and make sure that there was no hydrauliuc locking of the engine, then started it and rode off. Of course, the electronics in that bike were more primitive than in the fuel injected, computerized DL650. I'd avoid anything over one foot of standing water. Swiftly moving water is of course off limits.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
This much is okay,

but not this much.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Why did he keep going foreward???!
Maybe because bikes don't have a reverse gear; I imagine it would be pretty hard to duckwalk a bike backwards in this much water.

Most people will just sauy because he's an idiot, but I've come to learn that everyone has a reason for being an idiot...

·
Registered
987 Posts
In the first water crossing I would suggest standing on pegs and drive thru in first gear at 2-3000 rpm--not too fast, but with a little momentum.
On the second (deeper) crossing, there's not much that can be done--it was an ill-advised crossing as he did it, but on the other side you can get the water out and then drive away.
If I were following the second guy I might just kill the motor and push it across, and then you might just fire it up on the other side. When the water is that deep you have a lot of different issues to deal with on the other side.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
In the first water crossing I would suggest standing on pegs and drive thru in first gear at 2-3000 rpm--not too fast, but with a little momentum.
He did it right considering the bike.
On a lighter bike with a light front end (like a real DS) I'd agree. The frontend on the strom is too heavy. Stick the front in that creek while standing up - and you're going down.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts