StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am very close to buying v-strom 650 xt but wonder how strong frame is and other parts when bike is dropped etc. I do a lot of off-road and I don't treat bike nice if you know what I mean ;) I'd rather have steel frame not alloy but what to do. If I google bmw gs broken frames a I see a lot of scary pics, how about this bike? looks like stronger, couldn't find any case of broken frame :)

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
I've been haunting V-Strom forums since early 2006 and haven't seen such a problem from an off road drop. Damage to plastics is more like it.

·
Registered
14,218 Posts
I had a rather big crash that took out the saddle bags, top box and the headlight assy and mounting bracket. I had scratches on the crash bars. No frame or fork damage is noticeable. I crashed 3-4 years and many thousands of mile ago.
Bike is fine but a bit tattered. Stuff like the torn off foot peg and bent, broken clutch and brake handles are sacrificial. Easily replaced. This was not a low speed fall over. It was a 55 mph run off the road into the ditch kinda excursion.
I hate when that happens.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a rather big crash that took out the saddle bags, top box and the headlight assy and mounting bracket. I had scratches on the crash bars. No frame or fork damage is noticeable. I crashed 3-4 years and many thousands of mile ago.
Bike is fine but a bit tattered. Stuff like the torn off foot peg and bent, broken clutch and brake handles are sacrificial. Easily replaced. This was not a low speed fall over. It was a 55 mph run off the road into the ditch kinda excursion.
I hate when that happens.
thanks, it's encouraging. Was any of the crash related to v-strom handling or just rider error?

·
Registered
14,218 Posts
"Was any of the crash related to v-strom handling or just rider error?"

Inattention by a guy towing a boat, ran me off the road as I tried to pass him. Not my fault, man!

·
Registered
314 Posts
My 04 has had to run ins with pavement at speed. the big issues Were theplastics and the gear shift. Still was ble to ride it home though(over a 100 miles).

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Most of the BMW frame damage you've seen is probably the sub-frames and I wouldn't really call that the bike's fault. A lot of GS owners far overload their bikes with every accessory known to man and hang it off the back of the bike. I'd like to weigh what some of these guys are carrying because I'd bet it would be close to or over 200 lbs of gear. That will tax the subframe on any bike out there over rough country especially when you take rider weight into account in some of these cases.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The stock:

Bars
Levers
Footpegs
Rear brake lever
Gear Selector

Are crap if you drop it

There are a myriad of aftermarket parts and for AU$300, you won't be limping out of the bush

·
Registered
14,218 Posts
What Downs said. I know a gal from Arizona that even had a bottle jack bolted to the saddle bags to help right the bike if it fell over.
Weigh to much wait, if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Most of the BMW frame damage you've seen is probably the sub-frames and I wouldn't really call that the bike's fault. A lot of GS owners far overload their bikes with every accessory known to man and hang it off the back of the bike. I'd like to weigh what some of these guys are carrying because I'd bet it would be close to or over 200 lbs of gear. That will tax the subframe on any bike out there over rough country especially when you take rider weight into account in some of these cases.
that is simply not true, frame on bmw gs is a joke and they know it
even on their forum. It bend even from tip over.
Tank out of alignment - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

if I didn't know it is from F800GS I would think it's from some toy bicycle...

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I have a Yamaha MT09 (FZ09) and I know if I throw it down the road I will be walking home, it will not survive a fall. (it did not)

With my 09 Wee I fully expect to just pick it back up and continue my journey (I have)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
that is simply not true, frame on bmw gs is a joke and they know it
even on their forum. It bend even from tip over.
Tank out of alignment - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

if I didn't know it is from F800GS I would think it's from some toy bicycle...

I didn't know the 800GS had subframe issues. I should have clarified the R GS bikes. I've seen reports of broken subframes on those bikes and when you look at pictures of how they were loaded they must have had over 200 lbs of gear back there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts