StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an early riser! I also love weather, mother nature, and stuff! So this morning, at 5 am the temperature on my weather station read 10 degrees F. Not the coldest of the year, but getting there.

How cold/warm was it around the same time where you live?

Perry

·
Registered
576 Posts
30 in west Massachusetts.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I rode to work today and I believe the temp (at about 7:30 AM) was around 40F.

It's been much colder than that within the past few weeks. Has been down around 20F. Quite chilly.

I have no special cold-weather gear and I think it's interesting how much colder riding at 20F feels compared to riding at 25F.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
30 in west Massachusetts.
As of 2 PM, it hasn't made it to 30 yet. It was 18 deg. here in Plainfield at 6:30 this morning. Damn! They called for upper 30's, too. If it had been, I'd be out on a ride right now. :yesnod:

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Temps not out of the 20's here all day....Snow tonight, and then rain and sleet on top of it tomorrow.....Winter in Maine Alas��⛄❄��

·
Administrator
13,500 Posts
I am an early riser! I also love weather, mother nature, and stuff! So this morning, at 5 am the temperature on my weather station read 10 degrees F. Not the coldest of the year, but getting there.

How cold/warm was it around the same time where you live?

Perry
How far did you ride in it?

..Tom

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Mid 50's F and drizzling. It can be warm or frigid, wet or dry, and combinations of all of them in Kentucky in winter.

·
Administrator
13,500 Posts
Well this morning. Snow and sleet. Looks snotty out there.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I'm glad it stayed south of Lake Ontario and headed east. It missed us. I did get a smidgeon of freezing drizzle on my ride home last night for maybe two or three minutes. Our roads are over-brined so making them all look like black ice, but when I rode in to work this morning the roads were otherwise fine. It was fairly moderate out.. only a couple of degrees below freezing which means moisture tends to be attracted to cold roads, especially brined ones.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, it looks like a better day here tomorrow. Today was a wash for sure. Just came back from Bangor, roads wet, with no ICE yea! have fun, stay warm......I'm putting a log on the fire soon...

·
Registered
576 Posts
For me, it's not so much the temps ( until below 35 ) that get me off the roadways in winter. It's the salt and calcium chloride. Once that goes down, I'm off the road till a couple of clensing rains in the spring. I think I did a thread on this subject here once. Or on KLR650.net. Or on AdvRider. Not sure which. :)
g

·
Premium Member
2,280 Posts
Gary,
I totally agree. The corrosion from salt is very destructive.
As you said, once the salt is washed away, time to take the bike out again.
Must be awful to live in a warm climate:yikes:

·
Registered
414 Posts
it is awful to live in a warm climate. I decided to go for a ride today and my wife said it was too cold. it was 49*. how easily we get spoiled. it went to a high of 73. the only salt shakers we know about are on the kitchen table. while I am being so smug please indulge me and don't ask about july-aug. must save for a vacation to the lovely north then.

·
Registered
969 Posts
How cold was it? Dam cold. -7F Could hardly move when I got to work this morning. Should be around 15F or 16F for the ride home. That like 13 warmer. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
How cold ?

Was -2 or -3F at my home. The coldest morning by far thus far this season.

My bet is this morning was the coldest we'll see this year (2015). We usually have a zero morning once a year. Last year we saw -5F one morning. Nothing else close to that the rest of that season.

I'm soft. I came to work on four wheels today, but several people asked me if I rode. I have no heated gear of any kind and I have a 10-mile commute, so the bike was out of consideration for today (and for this week, for that matter). I draw the line at 25F. It's amazing to me how much colder 20F feels on the bike.

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,228 Posts
My weather station was -3.1° north of Boston this morning and -21.6° wind chill. Now its 19.4°... heat wave!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts