StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do you use a heated liner in March, in Va?

Hi

quick search tells me they work well in the cold but I am unsure of how cold is cold to need it. I have an event coming up at the end of March here in Va that is about three hours away and will require riding all day. I am thinking it might be useful to have one just in case I need it. If my money however would be better used elsewhere id rather save it.

What temp do you decide to wear one?(for the northerners please keep in mind I am probably not as cold tolerant)

I do not yet have much experience with long distance/days on the road and had planned to be fair weather my first season but it looks like this could change.

·
Registered
495 Posts
my general feeling is to start wearing them when my reaction time starts getting cut down. If your hands and feet slow down to operate clutch, brake + gears, time to stop or use heated gear.

that being said, I only use heated socks and glove liners. My core rarely ever gets cold, even up here.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My only heated gear consists of a heated vest. I'm in NC and ride year round. For the shorter rides I only use it when temps are in the 20s or lower. If I was on a longer ride, then I'd probably use it with temps in the 30s.

I use a First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket up top and draggin jeans with fleece liner on the legs. Wind doesn't really come through the fleece & kevlar. Concentrate on keeping the wind out. That's the biggest thing.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I've been out pre-heated jacket days and had a time where I got rained on, and after a few hours post-downpour I was pretty miserable. It was in the upper 40's and I would have loved some heated gear, as I was pretty well shivering to pieces when I got home.

Now, typically, I really like the extra "hug" from the electric jacket in the 40's, but it's game changing in the lower 30's and down. It's the difference between either suffering or being bundled up like a stuffed sausage to keep warm.

Down near freezing it makes it so that other than cold feet (no heated insoles just yet) I feel like I could keep comfortably riding all day, where before I needed some breaks to get myself warmed up.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Heated gear is one of the best bangs for the money IMHO even on what is suppose to be warm weather of an evening when it is damp etc I slip it on. My heated jacket liner is one thing that never gets left behind in any season. It is also pretty much a one time investment if you take care of it and take care of your waist line !! Buy one today and enjoy it for years to come. :thumbup:

BTW I have both a heated vest & jacket liner and to me the liner is a better investment. The liner will also let you plug heated gloves into the it which will eliminate a 2nd harness and plug in etc. If you do go with a vest be sure and get one that at least has a heated collar. I have the complete heated setup from socks, pants liner, jacket liner, and gloves. 95% of the time when I need heated clothing it is just my jacket liner and heated gloves. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
If its rainy, it might be 60 degrees and I'll wear it. Depends how far I'm going.

·
Registered
722 Posts
The guys in my local riding group insist heated gear is worth every penny, that it extends the riding season ~3 months easy here in New England.

I've yet to invest. I layer up and "suck it up".

I can't advocate the 'suck it up' bit. It isn't worth it.

·
Registered
664 Posts
If there's no black ice, there's no real temperature that seems totally unmanageable with electrics. I avoid it below freezing just because of the risks of the road icing up, but comfort-wise it's not a problem.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I don't own any heated gear,I have had charging issues with my big V for the last 25,000 miles so I don't want to add any big draws.I ride all winter in temps from the low 20's to mid 30's with my first gear insulated 1 peice suit over a balakava shirt and my work clothes.The big part of all of this is good gloves and
HIPPO HANDS !!,warm hands without heated grips !!.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Heated gear is one of the best bangs for the money My heated jacket liner is one thing that never gets left behind in any season. /the liner is a better investment. The liner will also let you plug heated gloves into the it which will eliminate a 2nd harness and plug in etc.
I have to agree, the jacket liner is dollar for dollar an exceptional value, compared to other heated gear, followed by the controller.
I'll use mine all year. I do almost daily 25 mile, one way trips, to the beach, returning after dark. 70 degrees can be chilly, during the summer months, and even at the lowest setting, the jacket liner, makes what used to be a chilly ride, very enjoyable.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I wear mine below about 50 degrees. But I'm a wimpy Californian.

I keep mine in my Givi tail box most of the year. My experience has been if I don't take it, I will wish I had it at some point in the ride.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
I have had charging issues with my big V for the last 25,000 miles so I don't want to add any big draws.
Our bikes output electrical power regardless of draw with a permanent magnet system. It's not a load dependent system. Maximum power is always output and excess is converted to heat that is shed by the regulator heat sink fins. It's actually easier on the system to increase the load as long as the capacity is not exceeded which would drain the battery.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I often ride in below freezing weather, my bike has electric grip heaters, theyre just super, I can still wear lighter more flexible gloves, and have warm hands. when I get cold, I always feel it first in my kidney area, and am seriously thinking of getting an electric vest.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
With the fabrics out now have no problem staying warm by "layering-up" until the roads freeze over. Generally avoid riding at that point. Have no doubt electrics would be more convenient. :beatnik:

·
Registered
33 Posts
My jacket has a water/wind proof liner and a thermal liner. After getting a heated liner I removed the thermal liner and take the heated liner all the time if its below 50-60. Less bulk is better and with a wind proof liner and adjustable heat I'm able to stay comfy from 25 degrees and up.

·
Registered
628 Posts
My riding gear is a Roadcrafter pants and Darien Jacket. If I expect the temps are going to be <60 degrees (particularly if it is damp/wet), I'll probably start out the day with a long-sleeve cotton pull-over on the top with my Aerostitch heated jacket over it, but not plugged in.

That equipment will hold me to ~40 degrees. Then I'll plug the jacket in and use it as necessary to maintain my core temp and be comfortable. If it is going to be very cold ~20 degrees, I'll add some protection around my neck and upper torso (both front and back).

The approach above is for me being on the bike all day long. For shorter rides, I can generally tough it out for the necessary duration.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I wear my Gerbings jacket liner year round instead of the Olympia AST liner. I usually turn it on when it is below 50° for a longer ride. For my 20 minute commute to work, I don't always turn it on unless it is below 40°.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts