StromTrooper banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2006 DL 650 and it is lower than expected. How can I tell if it has lowering links installed?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
Measure the links, center of the bolt to center of the bolt, preferably in millimeters (or convert). Then compare to the the info on the following link: Adventure Tech lowering links

The OEM stock links are 140mm.

Hope that helps.

Rectangle Font Art Pattern Diagram

·
Registered
7 Posts
check your tyre size oem is 150.70.17 but due to availability, many 650 rear are fitted with 150.60.17, it is a thinner tyre

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Confirmed the links are 140mm and the seat is unaltered stock. Interesting that many people say it is high because I have a 30” inseam and can easily flatfoot it.

Oh well, just happy it feels as low as it does!

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
With a 30" inseam and you standing flatfooted I'd say that you for sure have lowering links on.
I don't know how you confirmed it, but you need to measure exactly, not just close enough.
Are your fork tubes up through the trees about an inch or a little less also?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm, they were 5.5” from center hole to center hole. Here’s a photo of the stamp on the link.
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bicycle tire

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also the preload on the rear shock will affect ride height.
Interesting. I have no idea where mine is set at, but if it drops it this much, why would people be shaving seats and installing lowering links?

As I said, I’m just happy it’s good for me, and just curious if it’s been lowered.

I did push on the part of the seat where it curves up and there is about an inch of air space between the seat cover and foam underneath. If that’s supposed to be firm under that part, perhaps someone shaved the seat. I did look under the seat and found no additional staple holes. Odd…

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Those are stock dog bones in your pix. Are the front fork tubes set at stock height or are they raised in the triple tree? A thread that explains more on the fork tube triple height adjustment in the tree / yoke, Where does the front fork sit?

·
Registered
2014 DL650A, 2019 DL650XT
188 Posts
Interesting. I have no idea where mine is set at, but if it drops it this much, why would people be shaving seats and installing lowering links?
The first thing anyone should do when getting a bike is to set the suspension sag. You certainly don't want to install lowering links without setting the sag for your weight (and luggage if you'll be riding with luggage). Sag affects ride height and handling characteristics.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Those are the stock links. My stock links have the same stamp.
I put my lowering links on this spring, they came with the bike and I took them off years ago, but decided now was the time to use them again. And now I can sort of flat foot sitting on it and my inseam is 30" or so.
Your seat must be shaved big time.
Well, as long as that seat is comfortable, your all set.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts