Strom Trooper banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,086 Posts
I have never had a hyd clutch but I always thought they would be easier to pull than a cable....shows what I know...lol.
Hydraulic clutches can be easier to pull.

But if you seen the $^%& pressure plate springs on the DL 1000 Gen 1 you would know why it is hard to pull!

·
Registered
22,227 Posts
Are you just wanting a clutch lever? I would buy an OEM lever from an online source such as partzilla or others...provided your local dealer won't match that price.

Fit of the lever is critical as it must operate the clutch lever switch correctly.

If you are just wanting fancier aftermarket brake and clutch levers, first thing to consider is price. Too cheap and you are more likely to have fitment issues. I don't really have a brand to recommend, but the good ones won't be cheaper than OEM.

There is a lot of adjustment in OEM levers. One problem you can run into with aftermarket levers is travel. Since they are built to make it easy to grasp, it can be that some will not allow full travel of the clutch linkage or hydraulics. Same with the brake side.
not only initial fit, some aftermarket levers are made from cream cheese, while they may fit perfectly after initial installation, next week, they will be as sloppy as sh!t

I go for oem every time

·
Super Moderator
4,937 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Just a comment, the clutch on my 2014 DL1000 is lighter than the clutch on my 2012 DL650. Quite a bit lighter.

Wasn't always. @30,000k's I decided I needed to clean out the front sprocket area and probably replace the front sprocket. Right on the first, the sprocket was fine. When I reassembled it I added a rubber hose packed with silicone grease over the clutch push rod and packed the seal area at the back of the piston with the same. Light as a feather after that.

It also fixed the slight lag that was screwing up my gear changes, particularly at takeoff.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,086 Posts
Just a comment, the clutch on my 2014 DL1000 is lighter than the clutch on my 2012 DL650. Quite a bit lighter.

Wasn't always. @30,000k's I decided I needed to clean out the front sprocket area and probably replace the front sprocket. Right on the first, the sprocket was fine. When I reassembled it I added a rubber hose packed with silicone grease over the clutch push rod and packed the seal area at the back of the piston with the same. Light as a feather after that.

It also fixed the slight lag that was screwing up my gear changes, particularly at takeoff.
The 2014+ DL 1000 has a slipper style clutch that is MUCH lighter at idle and lower rpm/throttle opening. It's design allows mechanical pressure to be added to the friction pack under load, increasing as load increases.

I have had DL 1000 owners swap out the inner hub to the SV 1000 style Back Torque Limiter style inner hub. These too are MUCH easier to pull. The 2014+ design is much better than the SV 1000 setup, there are SV owners swapping to the DL slipper assembly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have these and they work

These are cheap and it takes longer till delivery but they work. Adjustable and fold out of the way in a tip over.
Look same as above.

Brake Clutch Lever For SUZUKI DL650 V-STROM 13-17, SV650/A RV200 Van Van 16-18 Motorcycle Accessories Folding Extendable

Price:
US $34.49 / pair

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I haven't found any bad ones yet.

Not saying they are all good but I've been pleasantly surprised for ~$20AU several times.
I went with shorty's off e bay three years ago....no issues at all. I think the pair was under $50.

Same. The cheapest of the cheapies have always worked fine for me.

I did learn that I really hate shorty levers, so at least that experiment didn't cost much and I was able to trade the shorties later.

·
Super Moderator
4,937 Posts
When I bought my Versys I did not like the way the front brake operated at the very start of the lever travel and so I purchased these adjustable shorty levers. They were a straight bolt on and have a clicker wheel for almost infinite adjustment. A perfect fit, adjust, and forget.

They also have a version available for WeeStroms, https://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-Roller-Adjustable-Brake-Clutch-Levers-for-Suzuki-RGV250-Gamma-1988-1997-1998/172157887213?_trkparms=ispr=1&hash=item281568e2ed:g:2NYAAOSwOfxXA5zT and later model DL650's. https://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-Roller-Adjustable-Brake-Clutch-Levers-Fits-Suzuki-GSR600-06-11-GSR750-11-15/172161619930?_trkparms=ispr=1&hash=item2815a1d7da:g:9eEAAOSwjMJXCGIl
Do the 2013+ DL650's use a different lever? A message to the seller would find out. Mine are quality.

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
I bought the cheapest adjustable shortys I could find on amazon. I guess I got lucky. They look nice and so far no issues for two years now.

I’ve never seen those roller adjustables before. That’s pretty slick. I think I’ll try those on my Aprilia.

·
Registered
972 Posts
The 2014+ DL 1000 has a slipper style clutch that is MUCH lighter at idle and lower rpm/throttle opening. It's design allows mechanical pressure to be added to the friction pack under load, increasing as load increases.

I have had DL 1000 owners swap out the inner hub to the SV 1000 style Back Torque Limiter style inner hub. These too are MUCH easier to pull. The 2014+ design is much better than the SV 1000 setup, there are SV owners swapping to the DL slipper assembly.
Curious, is there any sane path to swap in a slipper clutch to the 650 engine? (in my case a SV)

21 - 35 of 35 Posts