StromTrooper banner

141 - 160 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Overall, I do like the 705's, especially up front. I estimate I will get well over 12,000 miles of hard riding on the front 705 tire. As for the rear 705's, not so much on my '14 1000. I have been getting less than 4,000 miles on the rear 705's. I did switch to the 805 rear for the NEVA '17 event this year to better handle the off road riding. The 805 rear did help me remain upright while navigating through what the other riders called "my hero section", and for that I was thankful. Rode home on Sunday from Pennsylvania with Kevin P. on well paved Route 30. We were doing some fast and hard riding on big sweepers 80+ m.p.h. indicated, and the 805 rear ( and 705 front) stuck to the road like glue. Very impressed. My only concern is the lack of longevity with the 705 rear. In addition, I don't think the 805 rear will last more than 3000 miles. But overall great tires. :smile2:

FWIW I have about 6000 miles on my set of 705's. The front looks really quite new still, and I think the rear is probably at about 20 to 40% of it's life left. I have no doubt the front will make 10K or more... The back is starting to flatten down some but still has a great amount of tread pattern left so it's really hard to say.

·
Registered
26 Posts
UPDATE: After a few hundred miles on the Shinko 705 tires, front and rear, I ~~personally~~ do not like them. The front tire is very loud and the tires make the bike fall into curves almost too easy, as I find myself countersteering OUT of the curve to keep the bike on a nice line. It just wants to drop into a curve so easily. For the 5% dirt and rocky roads I ride, with 95% road use, the drawbacks to the 705's are not worth the decent off-road tread pattern they have.

Will sell them locally and have some Metzeler RoadTech 01's arriving this week and will ride these instead.

Rmpl

·
Registered
160 Posts
I agree with the loudness on the front most definitely, lol. As far as handling and grip goes I really have no complaints but I doubt I am testing the limits in the grand scheme. Once I got up to triple digits and had a lot of waver but that might have just been because of the lack of a fork brace and all the other nuances with the 2002 DL1000.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm glad this thread came up. Just ordered a 705 rear tire and should have it in a few days. The new (to me) Vee has a very worn one on the rear and a very decent front.
Thanks rmplstlskin, for mentioning how it drops into turns. I did notice that but my other bike is so different in every other way, I just figured it's a Vee thing.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I bought my Wee with newish 705's mounted and a spare new 705 included. 30k km's (19k miles) later, one additional 705 rear (3 total) and one front (2 total), I'm done with them.

My last 705 rear wore super quick on a mainly highway ride, prompted me to start checking out other options. Ended up with Bridgestone T30 Evo's. Straight up road touring tire, which works fine for my needs. Did 2k km's this past weekend and I'm in love. They transform the bike. No more fighting the bike to track a line in a corner, it just goes exactly where I point it now. No more vibration from the front tire at low speed, never bothered me before, but it's so smooth now. The last thing may just be in my head, but the bike feels faster and lighter. Not sure if it's less unsprung weight, but the bike feels completely different, and for the better! Should have done it a long time ago.

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
Mounted a rear 705 last week and I am a little concerned with its cold weather traction. Granted, it is not yet properly scrubbed in, but the lack of traction compared to the many other rears I've run new in the winter is scary.

I've previously run Bridgestones, Metzelers, Anakees, Heidenaus, front and rear. None of them were anywhere near as slick in the cold and wet. At this point, I am very grateful for the Heidenau K76 still on the front. There is no way I'd be riding with a matched pair of Shinko 705s. I don't mind slipping the rear around, but not the front. No thanks.

On the Vee, I can spin that rear in 6th gear. Yes, 6th gear. That's O/D on the dash. I almost couldn't make it up a bare asphalt hill yesterday! And not a terribly steep one at that.

Maybe I've got a bum tire. Anyone else have crappy performance in cold wet conditions? (Just regular wet, not monsoon, and so far between 2 and 7 degrees Celsius - nothing that has ever caused any other rear tire difficulty. About 300 kms on the thing now. Very little improvement.)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Mounted a rear 705 last week and I am a little concerned with its cold weather traction. Granted, it is not yet properly scrubbed in, but the lack of traction compared to the many other rears I've run new in the winter is scary.

I've previously run Bridgestones, Metzelers, Anakees, Heidenaus, front and rear. None of them were anywhere near as slick in the cold and wet. At this point, I am very grateful for the Heidenau K76 still on the front. There is no way I'd be riding with a matched pair of Shinko 705s. I don't mind slipping the rear around, but not the front. No thanks.

On the Vee, I can spin that rear in 6th gear. Yes, 6th gear. That's O/D on the dash. I almost couldn't make it up a bare asphalt hill yesterday! And not a terribly steep one at that.

Maybe I've got a bum tire. Anyone else have crappy performance in cold wet conditions? (Just regular wet, not monsoon, and so far between 2 and 7 degrees Celsius - nothing that has ever caused any other rear tire difficulty. About 300 kms on the thing now. Very little improvement.)
one of my 705 rears did take a long time to get the oil out of the tire, sometimes they need to get hot and with those kind of temps not sure your going to get there. I switched to the 804/805 now and will never go back to the 705s.

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
one of my 705 rears did take a long time to get the oil out of the tire, sometimes they need to get hot and with those kind of temps not sure your going to get there. I switched to the 804/805 now and will never go back to the 705s.
I've even dropped the air pressure to try to generate some heat. Actually had dry pavement to run on this morning and could still spin the tire in 6th at highway speeds. I am starting to notice some gradual improvement, however, so keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
437 Posts
1st 705 on the front, about 11,000mi, 2nd on the rear, approx 7,500 before I removed. Wasn't quite done, but close enough for me. Front and rear should be kaput at the same time. May try the 804, 805 combination next time...or darkside the rear, not sure.
I am not very good at feeling the nuances of different tires. All I know is these feel well planted in everything but mud, snow, and ice.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have always wondered

Why would anyone would want to run cheap Chinese tires on their motorcycle? After reading some of the comments here about these tires it just affirms my feelings.

I am new to V Strom ownership but have been up on two wheels for over 50 years and these are a few things I don't short change myself with when it comes to motorcycles;

#1 Tires, always buy the best for the bike you are riding and make sure the tires are designed for your purpose.

#2. Brakes, same applies to brake parts, especially brake pads.

In my case I just replaced the tires on my 2003 DL1000 after researching decided that Michelin Pilot Road 4 Trail tires met all my needs, 100% highway riding with lots of curves.... Yes they are pricey, but they also work extremely well while offering really good mileage numbers. Always remember you only have two wheels under you on a M/C!

:smile2:

·
Registered
437 Posts
Where are the Michelins made? I know some of the motorcycle tires were made in Thailand for a while.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Why would anyone would want to run cheap Chinese tires on their motorcycle? After reading some of the comments here about these tires it just affirms my feelings.

I am new to V Strom ownership but have been up on two wheels for over 50 years and these are a few things I don't short change myself with when it comes to motorcycles;

#1 Tires, always buy the best for the bike you are riding and make sure the tires are designed for your purpose.

#2. Brakes, same applies to brake parts, especially brake pads.

In my case I just replaced the tires on my 2003 DL1000 after researching decided that Michelin Pilot Road 4 Trail tires met all my needs, 100% highway riding with lots of curves.... Yes they are pricey, but they also work extremely well while offering really good mileage numbers. Always remember you only have two wheels under you on a M/C!

:smile2:
Those are great but they wouldn't get me 1/10th of the places I have ridden on my "cheap" 705's and would probably leave me stranded with a shredded tire or stuck ! A lot of people here spend just about as much time off road as on which is what you missed and the 705 is a great tire for 80/20 riding.

Those Michelins are a 2 ply tread, the Shinko is a 4 ply and cost half as much. Even if I bought 2 for every one Michelin I would have seen a lot more places and had a lot more smiles than someone sticking to the slab.

Where are the Michelins made? I know some of the motorcycle tires were made in Thailand for a while.
Oh you know, everywhere which includes those far east countries...

Michelin produces tyres in France, Poland, Spain, Germany, the USA, the UK, Canada, Brazil, Thailand, Japan, Italy and several other countries.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I threw on a pair of 705s on my 2017 650 before I left Seattle. 3 weeks and 2700 miles of BC, Yukon, and Alaskan highway, gravel, dirt, and construction later, riding with 325 pounds of rider, luggage, and farkle, they're down to about 50%. In general I'm happy with them, just wish they'd last longer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Got the radials to replace 2nd round of Bridgestones. I think they are amazing love the handling improvements on pavement. Haven’t tested any off road yet but 1k miles broken in all good.

141 - 160 of 185 Posts