StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How well does the Strom handle dirt roads? Are suspension and wheel mods worthwhile and if so which are the best? I'd also like some hard bags, who has these? Any competing models alot better? Thanks!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Two of the guys from the Vstrom2 mail list made a trip to Alaska with their stroms. From what I know, the V-Strom handled the Dempster Highway just fine.

I had mine on some North Georgia forest service roads and it did great. I only ran into trouble when there were big ruts and large rocks.

steve

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Like any of the liter sized trailies it can be a handful on the soft stuff but otherwise handles pretty well. If I was riding primarly on dirt I would go with something smaller/lighter.

I've got the Jesse bags but you have a lot of options for bags.

www.jesseluggage.com

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stock tires with high air pressure are NOT relaxing on gravel roads. Stock Strom is not for off road e.g. climbing gaslines. Does not like loose rocks/slow labor travel. Stock bike will go very fast on dirt roads, pushing luck whole time. Strip and add knobbies, suspension work and would likely climb with many, or flattrack. Better off to just get a CR or YZ for the dirt, or klr or such for primary dirt travel. For goof off exploring back roads bike is adequate, even two up if you know what you're doing. Bike really shines on smooth surfaces e.g. highway, hardpack. A guy really needs more bikes.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts