StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked about seats a few days ago, Corbin in particular.
Superslomo replied and said I can come over and sit on his bike.
So I did come over to NY today, only we went out for a 4 hour ride in the beautiful twisty roads near the borders/intersection of states of NY/CT/MA..:thumbup:

The weather today was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G, the trip was fantastic.
I think Superslomo is going to post the map here later.
(White bike - mine, Blue - Superslomo)

Superslomo is a great stromtrooper, I'm just thinking...wish we had a stromtrooper club that could meet and ride together.
Yes, NE Rally in VT will take place soon, but it is so much fun riding with people with similar bikes and as it seems in our case similar professions and height :)
[Also Superslomo is not slow at all... :biggrinjester:]

Enjoy the pictures:

·
Registered
664 Posts
It was great to ride with a fellow inmate in this asylum...

the ride was basically this loop

Northern Dutchess was wonderful, windy, twisty and glorious, but the trip up route 7 in the Connecticut uplands is also really fantastic... mostly cobbled together bits and pieces from MotorcycleRoads.US - Great roads in the US for motorcyclists, sports car drivers, tourists, and other travelers but I was seriously happy with this, and that even with me getting us lost (I was committed to my ratty paper cue sheet, even though bigman had the GPS with him, I had SPECIFIC ideas about where I wanted to scare groundhogs up here) and missing the bit of the shunpike road twisties I wanted to add in, with him coming up from NJ, I think we were both well satisfied with the distance today.

I'd recommend this stretch, or any piece of it, to anyone looking for a random bit of putzing about, or passing through up here. Beautiful ride, great day for it as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Corbin seat

The Corbin seat is great! The thing to know is it comes like a touring seat with a big bucket. If you tell them to shave it down, I think they call it a nose job, have the bucket removed and the front tapered like a stock seat, then it's great.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
The Corbin seat is great! The thing to know is it comes like a touring seat with a big bucket. If you tell them to shave it down, I think they call it a nose job, have the bucket removed and the front tapered like a stock seat, then it's great.
So it's basically like the stock seat with denser foam....
I think that's what I'll do; pull my seat cover off and replace the foam with straw or something that compresses less than the marshmallows Suzuki shoved in there; that should make the stock wee seat comfy.

·
Registered
98 Posts
COOL! Good looking bikes!:thumbup:

Yep, I can't wait to meet and ride with some of the inmates here as well :biggrinjester:. Gotten a lot of good information here since I picked up the Vee recently.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So it's basically like the stock seat with denser foam....
I think that's what I'll do; pull my seat cover off and replace the foam with straw or something that compresses less than the marshmallows Suzuki shoved in there; that should make the stock wee seat comfy.
My duck friend - It is not a stock seat with denser foam.
The shape of the seat fits the shape of the human butt.
The Suzuki OEM chair doesn't take that into account (that human have butts).

Corbin is much denser, but the correct shape is really felt (helps support) when accelerating.
Superslomo's bike is lowered (currently, as the original owner was short), so it was hard for me to fully assess the seat as I had a different position than my usual one. I think the front was lowered as well.

We're going to meet again at some point this summer, so next time I'll ask him to swap seats.
Another problem is that the Corbin itself by default is lowered compared to the stock. I guess this can be fixed by letting Corbin know about my height (turns out it is 6'5..not 6'4..I'm used to cm..) and weight.

For now I'm staying with the stock - a new Corbin is too expensive. If I find a
used deal in eBay or here - perhaps.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
COOL! Good looking bikes!:thumbup:

Yep, I can't wait to meet and ride with some of the inmates here as well :biggrinjester:. Gotten a lot of good information here since I picked up the Vee recently.
Thanks!
Did you notice my inmate shirt? :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
122 Posts
If you guys are going to be doing a ride over in Western Connecticut and need a guide or interpreter, let me know. This is my neck of the woods and I know some really nice places.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you guys are going to be doing a ride over in Western Connecticut and need a guide or interpreter, let me know. This is my neck of the woods and I know some really nice places.
Sure - I/We will definitively get in touch with you!

·
Registered
664 Posts
I guess maybe my taste is off, but I wouldn't want the corbin reshaped, personally. While it may be touring shaped, if you say so, I have been pretty comfortable on it for longer days so far. The stock seat just wasn't the right form for me, aside from anything about the padding/foam density. Stock was fine, but it wasn't super comfortable, and also really didn't allow a lot of options for moving around to take the pressure off different places.

Western CT was WAY prettier than I was expecting, and Columbia and northern Dutchess were wonderful, really nice batty twisty roads and lots of gorgeous farm country.

I'd be very game to have some kind of network of Strom riders up here to go and get lost with in the boonies.

·
Registered
30 Posts
For me the Corbin seat wouldn't work. I went to try one out and I couldn't touch the ground at all on either side of the bike.

The seat is much wider and I couldn't touch the ground on account of my legs being pushed out further.

So for me (30 - 32 inch inseem) there doesn't appear to be any seat options. I bought some Joe Rocket pants and I find I don't slide around as much and I started jogging. Much better now.

I'm glad you two had a good ride and are able to enjoy the better seat.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I'm about 6'3", and have no trouble flat footing the bike, though it is presently about an inch lowered. I think at normal height it wouldn't be a problem either. That being said, if it doesn't work for you, hopefully you are either happy with the stock or find an option that suits.

Having now tried both, I am happy the original owner happened to have put on the aftermarket seat, as I would have probably put off replacing the stock and would have been less happy for it...

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm 5'8" and have a Corbin for the DL that the previous owner purchased. He ran the seat for a weekend and went back to stock.

I got the bike and excitedly installed the Corbin... and in under a week I took it off.

I do not like the Corbin, the OEM DL1000 seat is much more comfortable to my behind. I felt the Corbin was shaped better, but so hard that after a couple hours I was starting to feel that my butt-bones were about to poke through my butt-cheeks! :thumbdown:

·
Registered
664 Posts
I don't know when either of the prior owners installed it, but my bike had over 40k on the clocks when I bought it.

I understand they definitely need a good bit of break-in time, but if you've ever broken in a Brooks leather saddle on a bicycle, this is a walk in the park. Once broken in, both leather bike saddles and hard motorcycle seats give you support where you need it. However, to each their own...

·
Registered
230 Posts
Maybe I send the pain inducing brick to you and you can suffer the break in period and send it back? I'm not tough enough to see if it will get better with time. It reminded me of going to a high school and setting on the alluminum bleachers..... OUCH.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
For me the Corbin seat wouldn't work. I went to try one out and I couldn't touch the ground at all on either side of the bike.
The seat is much wider and I couldn't touch the ground on account of my legs being pushed out further.
So for me (30 - 32 inch inseem) there doesn't appear to be any seat options. I bought some Joe Rocket pants and I find I don't slide around as much and I started jogging. Much better now.
I'm glad you two had a good ride and are able to enjoy the better seat.
Maybe you should lower your bike like Superslomo's bike?

It was too low for me and for him (as I can judge), but with 6'3 and 6'5 respectively we are not the reviewers you should follow.

I'm 5'8" and have a Corbin for the DL that the previous owner purchased. He ran the seat for a weekend and went back to stock.

I got the bike and excitedly installed the Corbin... and in under a week I took it off.

I do not like the Corbin, the OEM DL1000 seat is much more comfortable to my behind. I felt the Corbin was shaped better, but so hard that after a couple hours I was starting to feel that my butt-bones were about to poke through my butt-cheeks! :thumbdown:
The seat was comfortable, not an order of magnitude more than my stock seat, but more comfortable. Then again, he has a lowered bike and if I had rode it for 3 hours straight, I think it would be much more comfortable than my stock. And his seat is broken in.
If Superslomo would please allow me next time, (I did say please.. :) ), then I'll grab his seat on my DL650 for one hour and then report my findings. Hopefully we'll ride again soon enough.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Another deciding factor for me is the weight of the corbin seat. HOLLY SMOKES its heavy! I ride two up + gear + luggage on my little Wee-Strom. I couldn't see adding another 10 pounds for a seat.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts