StromTrooper banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took my first trip on my new used Weestrom and my right foot got hot a lot. The air temperature was in the 90's and the worst heat was in city traffic and on slow gravel roads.

The bike has a skid plate and I'm thinking maybe the heat from the exhaust pipe is reflected at my foot? Anybody else have this problem or any ideas on additional heat shields?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Not here, I have a skid plate and stock exhaust,but with gear in the 90's, I am hot all over. I do feel heat more on both my feet due to the asphalt.

·
Registered
329 Posts
That would be 32C, in real temperature. Hotter than that here recently, but my feet stay relatively cool, despite my skid plate. I suppose heat could radiate up from the pipe, try jamming an old aluminum pie plate in and see if it makes a difference.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Are you wearing proper boots? Radiated heat is worse on clothing that breathes. Sneakers are a bad idea for a number of reasons.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Are you wearing proper boots? Radiated heat is worse on clothing that breathes. Sneakers are a bad idea for a number of reasons.
Good point! I always wear my Thor, 2 buckle, boots. Very stylish and you never get thor feet :green_lol:

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I noticed that happening to my right foot or lower right leg. It may have been when I was ridding one of my DR's. I will pay more attention the next ride on the DL.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was wearing full grain leather hiking boots 8" high. My pants have a leather heat shield on them but there is a crack between the 2. I could also feel heat coming up through my sole. I do have a pair of Alpinstar Tech 6's but they are not too good for pedestrian use.

Maybe I need to investigate proper street/touring boots...

·
Registered
875 Posts
Maybe I need to investigate proper street/touring boots...
This.

And FYI the wee is probably one of the coolest-running street bikes on the planet, try riding an early FJR :flaming_devil:

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a nice pair of Alpinestars Gore-Tex insualted boots and I still feel a little exhaust heat on my right foot. I only feel the heat when I ride for a while with my toes on the pegs. When I put my arch back on the pegs, I don't feel the heat anymore. It's not hot, just warm.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fixed

My feet aren't hot any more. I had the bike serviced and now the bike is idling at 1300 rpm instead of 2500-3000 rpm. Apparently the higher idle created more heat :headbang:.

Also got some Forma Adventure boots which help:

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I noticed the reflected heat from my skid plate this summer after I bought a pair of mesh riding pants. Got a little warm on my lower right leg in heavy traffic and stop lights. Started wearing a pair of light pants under and this fixed the problem.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I agree the more your pants can vent the more you feel the heat from the radiator in low speed traffic or off road situations. That said, of all the bikes I've ridden with radiators the wee is by far the less heat transferable to the rider.

I wont say man up , as that is just rude, man , but I will say try and Tiger 800on a nice hot day in August here in Gawga and you will run back to your wee and thank the good Lord above you made the right decision. LOL

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
My feet aren't hot any more. I had the bike serviced and now the bike is idling at 1300 rpm instead of 2500-3000 rpm. Apparently the higher idle created more heat :headbang:.
glad you got your problem fixed.

i commute through portland everyday and my right foot gets noticeably warmer than my left, but i would never call it hot...but i know it's from the exhaust moving through there...

and as another side note, the wee is way less "hot" than my sportster i used to ride...

·
Banned
158 Posts
Noticed heat on right foot when I'm positioned in tight on the pegs. Moved my foot out about and inch and no more heat. Also think that my tennis shoes were the main cause of the heat. I know I know I shouldn't be wearing tennis shoes and I normally don't just got lazy a couple of times. I need to remember to practice ATGATT. :headbang:

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I agree the more your pants can vent the more you feel the heat from the radiator in low speed traffic or off road situations. That said, of all the bikes I've ridden with radiators the wee is by far the less heat transferable to the rider.

I wont say man up , as that is just rude, man , but I will say try and Tiger 800on a nice hot day in August here in Gawga and you will run back to your wee and thank the good Lord above you made the right decision. LOL
Yep, I had a 1100 Shadow (back in the 90's) that I wouldn't ride in August in town without leather chaps. That thing would bake your right upper leg (as in first degree burns to the inner thigh) at stop lights. One of the reasons I got rid of it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts