StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Hot. The story is that the lube will "flow" better to get in the nooks and crannys of a warm chain. Most modern lubes "set up" and you will get less fling if you wait and let it cool before riding. Easiest is to shoot it with lube at the end of the day and you're all set by the next morning.;)

·
Registered
112 Posts
+1 for hot. clean it off with kerosene spin around the block to heat it up, lube and let sit to cool off and set.

mind I have gotten really annoyed with doing this almost every day so i went out and ordered a loobman oilier today

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
SKIPx2 jogged my memory on this - many years ago - 1976 to be exact I remember the Suz dealer telling me that if at all possible, clean the chain when warm as well - rationale was that kerosene (recommended for all the bikes I've ever had and all I've ever used) could also "flow" better into the nooks and crannies and could help clean out the grit that ultimately causes seized links etc. Since kerosene is a thin oil based lubricant, seemed to make sense so I've always done it.

I can't verify this to be something really earthshattering since I've only ever replaced a chain due to wear limits being exceeded but know for a fact I've never had any seized links since I make a point of testing the movement after I clean the chain.

Safe riding

12 more sleeps and counting til we're BC bound.

Bob

·
Registered
112 Posts
250~300km a day...200 super slab 20ish street and about 30 mixed other :)

I really need to find a job closer to where I live

(edit*just think I was doing this on a R6 lol)

·
Administrator
13,204 Posts
I thought I read that chains should be done roughly every 1,000 km. Am I wrong?

..Tom

250~300km a day...200 super slab 20ish street and about 30 mixed other :)

I really need to find a job closer to where I live

(edit*just think I was doing this on a R6 lol)

·
Registered
112 Posts
I thought I read that chains should be done roughly every 1,000 km. Am I wrong?

..Tom
doubt it I've heard everything from 200km to 1500km and everything in between. i have seen people lube theirs every time they ride out to timmies and back, and others that just don't at all.

personally I do mine every 500km or if I ride through rain and generally havn't had any issues in the past 11 years of riding. Still works out to every other day or less at the moment which is a right PITA for me....hence the oilier interest.....i miss shaft drive somtimes :)

·
Registered
704 Posts
That's what I've been using to clean mine.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
There has been some discussion as to whether or not WD40 harms the O-rings. Seems inconclusive to me.
I WD40 for lots of other things but use kerosene for cleaning my chain. I always have kerosene around for a heater I sometimes use when camping.

·
Administrator
13,204 Posts
There has been a lot of talk about using WD-40 as a cleaner. I have concerns that the additives that are in WD-40 might harm the O-Rings in the chain but I really don't know for sure. If the O-rings get damaged then crud gets into the chain and I am sure that the life of the chain would be dramatically reduced.

WD-40 is mostly Kerosene with additives. To me, an anology would be that Coca-Cola and Urine are mostly water with some other stuff added, but I would not want to bath in either.

Kerosene is pretty cheap.. you should be able to pick it up at Canadian Tire and I am sure lots of other places carry it.

..Tom

Thanks all for the info...

Someone told me that WD40 will also clean a chain. Is this true?

Sharon

·
Registered
147 Posts
The guy at my Stealer told me never to use WD40, because it will harm the O-Rings... This is the first chain driven bike I have owned, my last bike was shaft driven. So I am going to use Kerosene

·
Registered
8 Posts
lube

"TWO" motorcycle mag out of Britain had a real indepth section on how to lube a chain a couple of years ago. Because "Brits" ride a fair bit in the rain and wet snow and encounter a fair bit of salt on the roads I thought it was worth reading. I've been using their method and have got great results. I used kerosene for years but they recommended unleaded gas as this cleaned better and dried faster allowing the lube to penetrate rather than flinging off due to residual kerosene (which doesn't dry as well) being left on the chain. They also apply a light coating of "graphited grease" to the outside pins to help prevent water from penetrating. The o-rings are not compromised by gas as naturally it is a petroleum product like kerosene. I have been using this method for a couple of years and have always got around 20,000 kms before I changed the chain (no sticking pins, just prefer to play it safe).
Gas cleans so much faster than kerosene especially if you are using a wax type chain lube. Castrol makes a good graphited grease which doesn't fling off even after riding 1000 kms in the rain. Apply the grease everytime you wash the chain. I can usually clean thouroughly and lube in about 10 minutes.
Give it a try once and see what you think!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts