StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the deal with ads that are hot linked to other sites?

Clicking on the title in a forum thread takes you directly to their site. Doesn't seem too secure to me. Could download something onto your device yes?

Don't like it regardless, put the link in the message!

·
Super Moderator
4,510 Posts
More information please, Spec, including specific threads. I agree that no thread should take you directly to another website.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not a supporting member anymore so I'm seeing ads I guess. The hot linking is a new development apparently.

Top of this forum has a couple.

They show as "Sponsored Post" in the Replies column. Refreshing the page brings up different ads. Most seem to go directly to a site, some bring up a message page with a link.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Just FYI - I've been seeing them for a while now too and I 'm a supporter. They're usually up in the "Sticky" section with no thread title but with a "Last Post" title and sponsored by Honda, Mazda, etc.

I figured the mods and admins were aware of them since I hadn't seen anyone else comment about them until now.

Screenshot below.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,510 Posts
Thank you Jack. I never see these advertisements, and they are clearly labelled as advertisements. My email browser does something similar.
Its Verticalscope making a buck. Advertisers leave no stone unturned to attract your attention these days, and forum owners are not going to turn money down. It might be the difference between having a Stromtrooper site and not having a Stromtrooper site.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
That's what I though so I just ignore them. But that brings up a point; I thought as supporter we weren't suppose to see any ads except maybe for in the Premium Vendor Showcase which I don't see ads in ever.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding one of the benefits of being a supporter of the site. No matter. I just ignore them anyway.

·
Administrator
1,131 Posts
I'm not a supporting member anymore so I'm seeing ads I guess. The hot linking is a new development apparently.

Top of this forum has a couple.

They show as "Sponsored Post" in the Replies column. Refreshing the page brings up different ads. Most seem to go directly to a site, some bring up a message page with a link.
Hello there,

Got some news on this.
These are an ad campaign that was sold incorrectly
The software that deployed these were out of date that won't allow us to retract them.
At the moment tech is working on getting them removed.
Also once the ad campaign stops, they'll be automatically removed.

Sorry everyone,

Ed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts