StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I recently joined the two-wheel revolution this year and have already put on 8K on my '05 Wee Strom since June! This is my first bike and I love the ride. I took the MSF course and learned a great deal. I plan on riding year round (I commute 45 miles to work one-way), so I am beginning to outfit the bike for cold weather riding.

I just got in my Hot Grips and would like to ask your advice.

1. Where is a good place to mount the standard toggle switch that came with the grips? The instructions state to drill a 1/2 inch hole, but where? I am nervous about drilling into my bars to mount. Any pics on where/how to install?

2. I plan on using the OEM connection to wire in the grips. Other than removing the tank, is there a better or easier way to get to the wiring?

3. Any other advice on the best install method?

Thanks!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
You don't drill the bars. One good place is the plastic strip across the front of the tank. There is an open area in front of the tank on each side. See the knob in the enclosed picture. It's cheap to replace if you want to go back to stock. I would recommend using a Warm'n'Safe Heat-Troller instead of the switch. http://www.warmnsafe.com/motorcycle_handgrips.php It uses less current when set below full and you can pretty much set it and forget it. The switch has two settings, too hot and too cold. I was able to access the connector from the left side of the bike by removing the black plastic piece under the tank an using long pliers. A Suzuki horn lead for heated grips connector is part number 36852-06G00. It will plug into the bike's heated grip connector.

·
Registered
105 Posts
switch position

You don't drill the bars. One good place is the plastic strip across the front of the tank. There is an open area in front of the tank on each side. See the knob in the enclosed picture. It's cheap to replace if you want to go back to stock. I would recommend using a Warm'n'Safe Heat-Troller instead of the switch. http://www.warmnsafe.com/motorcycle_handgrips.php It uses less current when set below full and you can pretty much set it and forget it. The switch has two settings, too hot and too cold. I was able to access the connector from the left side of the bike by removing the black plastic piece under the tank an using long pliers. A Suzuki horn lead for heated grips connector is part number 36852-06G00. It will plug into the bike's heated grip connector.

greywolf great idea for a switch position. I've been pondering where to put one to turn off my radio output when necessary. I'll check this area out.

I totally agree as well with the Heattroller suggestion
pilgrim

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
My jacket liner heat-troller is the one in the picture. The space on the other side of the piece is where I put the button for the garage door opener. I have another heat-troller for grips and gloves on the left hand guard.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts