StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

Im riding a 2009 DL650 and its about to hit its 18000km point and was checking out the maintenance schedule and notices a lot of hoses and lines are supposed to be replaced every 4 years. Since I bought it 2nd hand, I have no idea if any of these were actually done, I'm leaning towards no, so I'd like to air on the side of caution and get em done.

I'd like to know if anyone has any tips, tricks or concerns before I go through with this. I'd like to try doing it myself to save on the costs, and to also learn more about the bike, but if you guys feel this isnt something a novice should take on, then I'd probably heed your warnings.

Here's the full list of stuff I'm looking to do:

Replace Spark Plugs
Replace Air Cleaner Element (I'm assuming air filter?)
Replace brake hose
Replace brake fluid
Replace fuel line
Replace vapor hose
Replace radiator hoses
Replace rear brakes

I know it's kind of a vague question, but I'm just looking for the insight of the community, since I'm sure youve all been where I'm at :smile2:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I don't know of anyone who has actually replaced the rubber hoses and lines. If they remain flexible, without cracks and soft spots, I'd leave them alone. It's the lawyers who are responsible for much of the manual content, not engineers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know of anyone who has actually replaced the rubber hoses and lines. If they remain flexible, without cracks and soft spots, I'd leave them alone. It's the lawyers who are responsible for much of the manual content, not engineers.
Well thats great news :D I'll inspect them all for cracks and the like, last I looked they were good so I'll just confirm that.

As for the rear brakes, spark plugs, is this something I can successfully do at home you think?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I don't know your skill set.

·
Registered
377 Posts
By rear brakes I guess it means brake pads. You wouldn't replace those unless they're worn down past the acceptable limit. Those and spark plugs you could do at home yourself quite easily once you've established exactly how.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
On my project bike, 2007 DL650A with 80K miles and an outdoor dog, I am replacing the radiator/coolant hoses and I went with the braided steel brake lines probably not totally necessary but these items are critical and being outdoors probably shortened their life. At 18K KMs yours are probably fine, especially if garaged.

As far as the vacuum and other hoses, mine seem fine to me. The only tip I have is if you do any other work to check the end of these hoses. I have found radial cracks on some and had to trim off 1/4 inch or so clear the cracks to avoid leaks. I'll post a pic if I can find a good example.

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
To be on the safe side I would recommend replacing the entire length of the splitting hose as opposed to trimming off the tip.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts