StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm not very mechanically inclined, so please bear with me...

I've got a 2006 DL 650 that I rode down to Nicaragua in 2010. Unfortunately I have not been able to return for the last 2 years and its been just sitting here.

I just got back last week and I've been doing some maintenance on it.

Everything's been going relatively well, except I noticed that once I put gas in the tank, that fuel started dripping out through some kind of exhaust hose that connects to the bottom of the fuel tank.

I took it to a shop and they're telling me that there is a metal tube that runs from the top of the fuel tank (where there is a hole to let water in), through the tank, and out through the bottom and connects to the leaking hose. They believe that metal tube has a hole in it and thus, with the tank full, fuel gets into the metal tube and leaks out to the bottom.

They tell me I have 3 options:

1 - replace the tank (not easy since this part is not readily found in Nicaragua)

2 - plug the top hole and plug the bottom hole thus making the metal tube useless. (I'm thinking that those holes and the metal tube are there for a reason, however, and would like to avoid this)

3 - send it to a metal shop where they can replace the metal tube.

I'm leaning towards option 3 and, temporarily, until the problem is fixed, I've tied the rubber fuel exhaust line into a knot, preventing it from leaking anymore fuel.

Does this all sound ok? The mechanics here have never worked on this kind of bike (they're used to 125 to 250cc bikes) and I'm not sure if we're looking at the problem correctly.

Thanks!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
That tube in the tank comes from the left side of the well in which the filler cap is located. You can see the hole there if you lift the cap. If you overfill or splash fuel in the well when filling, it will come out the hose as you describe. Make sure that is not all that is happening. If fuel comes out of the hose and you haven't over filled or splashed fuel into the hole, the tube inside the tank is broken. You could block the hole and the hose end but any overfilling or splash over will have no place to go and it would stay in the cap well. Any rain on top of the tank could also fill the well and possibly cause rust or get into the fuel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome, thanks!

Since the tank has a constant drip that, as of yet, has not stopped (I've probably leaked about a 1/2 gallon by now). I guess a broken tube is the most likely thing (there's a lot of rust around the filler cap, I wouldn't be surprised if rust ate a hole into the tube).

I'm expecting a quote tomorrow for how much it will cost to cut out the old tube and weld a new one into place.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
If you have rust from the filler area eating its way down the tube to a point below the top of the fuel level, You'd be better off replacing the tank. You can't weld to rust.

·
Registered
969 Posts
You can try fuel tank sealant if your going to junk the tank anyway. Run a small diameter tube down the overflow tube and seal the whole inside of the tank. Then pull the small tube out and you still have the use of the overflow. I've used aircraft grade fuel tank sealant on several bikes and small engines with good results.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts