StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my Wolo mounted, have the Steibel wiring harness with relay in hand, looking for any advice on how to access the stock horn wiring. Do I need to pull the radiator loose to get access, or is there another connector that is easier to access?

Thanks in advance,
Iz

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
You need to get at the wires behind the radiator. I used one of these.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks grey, that's what I was afraid of. Guess its going to wait until I get back from my trip and I tear it down to do the valve adjustments.

Looks like I'm stuck with the moped horn for another week or two. :thumbdown:

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Thanks grey, that's what I was afraid of. Guess its going to wait until I get back from my trip and I tear it down to do the valve adjustments.

Looks like I'm stuck with the moped horn for another week or two. :thumbdown:
I'm sorry, don't want to contradict GreyWolf, maybe I'm completely wrong here - but it took me 15 seconds to pull the stock horn connector out of its socket with nothing but my (admittedly long) fingers..My stock horn is still on the radiator just unconnected, and the pulled out connector was then easily connected to the stebel relay.
It was really simple.

Reactions: Paul13DL

·
Registered
490 Posts
my experience was the same as Bigman. just reach up and pull the connectors off.

·
38,103 Posts
No contradiction at all. You did go behind the radiator. I used pliers to do it is all.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does the wiring harness flip up over the top of the radiator somewhere? I couldn't quite get to the wires, therefore couldn't see where they went when unplugged.

Iz

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Does the wiring harness flip up over the top of the radiator somewhere? I couldn't quite get to the wires, therefore couldn't see where they went when unplugged.

Iz
I'll try to help you, but not sure what you mean.
The stock horn gets fed by a connector (a plastic male piece that holds wires together). The connector goes into the stock horn socket (female).
After you pull the connector out of that socket, it simply hangs there (not flipping over anything).
Then you take that connector and plug into the stebel relay socket (female).

The logic here is simple - when you hit the horn button, you trigger the stebel relay.
So a low current (stock horn button) now controls a high current (Stebel).
If you think about the way it works logically, it should come clear to you what connects to what.
HTH

·
38,103 Posts
The horn wires go to a connector that connects to the radiator top shroud by a split pin into a hole. It's the one to the right of the yellow connector.

By itself, it looks like this.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I swear, Greywolf, sometimes I think you have an extra Strom all torn apart purely for the purpose of being able to illustrate to the rest of us how to go about doing things! :mod2_hammer: Can't say thanks enough! :hurray:

Reactions: Paul13DL

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
Cheap

When I replaced my radiator and fan (after deer season) I made a mount for the stock horn under the steering head, facing forward. Stock wiring harness reached with no mods. Still sounds like a mo-ped, but loud enough to get the attention of at least semiconscious cagers.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The horn wires go to a connector that connects to the radiator top shroud by a split pin into a hole. It's the one to the right of the yellow connector.
Exactly what I was looking for. I didn't have anything handy to grab/pull/wiggle the horn wires attached and I was concerned that I would get them unplugged, not find the other end, and not be able to get them hooked back up to the stock beeper.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts