StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alrighty!

I need to know what the hive mind thinks on a solution to this.

I had an alarm installed on Saturday(The Talon 2200 http://talonalarms.com/t2200/)

The manufacturer of the alarm is a local guy here in Vancouver and he was wanting to hook one up to a Stebel horn instead of using a siren. He was using my bike as the test bed for this so he can use the experience to develop a custom wiring harness to have a plug and play install for other V-Strom owners and be able to offer a custom mounting plate for the Stebel.

So, here's where we ran into problems. The plan was to leave the stock horn and the Stebel installed and to use the Stebel in place of an alarm siren.

What happened was we tapped into the orange coloured horn wire for the Stebel for it to activate when the horn button was pushed. What ended up happening was as soon as the key was turned on, the horn went off.

Now full disclaimer here. Neither of us had seen a wiring diagram for the Strom, we were going off his knowledge of how Suzuki generally does their wiring.

In the end, we ended up leaving the Stebel disconnected as a horn, but it's now the alarm siren(very very noticable! :D)

Now that I've had some time to think about this, I think we should run the relay activation from the ground wire of the stock horn as it appears that the orange wire is always hot.

Any thoughts? comments? suggestions? I've done some searching but I think this install we're doing is unique and hasn't been tackled before.

I'll definitely be putting up a how to along with pictures once everything is all said and done too.

Thanks!

·
Registered
303 Posts
i disconnected the stock horn . . . pulled the double plug from the back then used a voltmeter to id which was hot with the key on and horn button pushed. i used that to fire the relay for the stebel. good luck with the project. as far as i can remember, the hot wire was black . . . ground was black with white stripe.

·
Registered
303 Posts
ps: i'm sure you know not to ground to the frame . . . ground to the negative terminal on the battery, or share the relay ground with the stebel ground.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts