StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone upgraded their horn? How easy was it to install? Any recommendations for brands? Thanks!

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
A relay is recommended. Run new power to the relay with a fuse in the positive wire (always run the negative wire back to the battery on our bikes with aluminum and steel frames). Trigger the relay off the power to the stock horn. Use a pair of FIAMM Freeway Blaster horns or a Stebel Nautilus air horn (I used a Stebel on the left side and a lo-tone Freeway Blaster on the right, wired together).

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Easy to do. PWD has a kit for the storms. Think Gary just finished
the 1K kit. Should have everything you need.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Easy to do. PWD has a kit for the storms. Think Gary just finished
the 1K kit. Should have everything you need.
Please elaborate who is this Gary? where is PWD?

·
Registered
944 Posts
Just speaking as a satisfied PWD customer.... Gary is wonderful to work with. I do not think he has a dl1000 mounting kit.

·
Registered
55 Posts
To clarify what Andreas mentioned, I currently provide a plug-n-play Stebel horn kit for the DL650. :var_50:

I have just recently completed a prototype for the DL1000. I am currently having components fabricated, but the DL1000 kit is not quite ready for sale. I hope to have kits available in 2-3 weeks. As with the DL650 kit, there will be a discount for Stromtrooper members when it's available. Please feel free to email me directly if you have any specific questions.

Thanks,
Gary
PWD

·
Registered
113 Posts
Stebel seems to have the most popular air horns. I had one in one of my previous bikes which sold me on it so I bought one for my V-Strom. The horn itself isn't very expensive at all, I think it comes in at under $40. But it comes with just the horn and one bolt and nut for mounting. Where you mount to or what you mount with is your prerogative.

Different companies sell different mounting and wiring options. Mounting options can easily be fabricated from parts from your local hardware store if you are crafty. And the wiring isn't difficult if you understand the basics of electricals, but be warned that the manual/schematic included with the Stebel horn is small and hard to read. Luckily there are plenty of online guides.

I wired mine up on my own and it just took a bit of patience to figure out where to plug things into and it worked the first time I tested it out, no issues :beatnik:

Eastern Beaver and a few other sell wiring kits if that's not your thing.

And if you want pure simplicity when it comes to the install, definitely contact Gary from PWD. I've recently bought some farkles from him and am one of his many satisfied customers :thumbup:

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm the guinea pig that Gary used for the 1k prototype. My bike is an 04 and I think that I used the stock horn maybe twice in that time. I told Gary at Pat Walsh that he could use my bike for specifications but I really wasn't too keen on having the air horn. That was before I heard it!!!! I'm sold. It is a great mount, tucked in, out of the way. Gary provides all of the mounting hardware and the wiring/relay components. It's really uptown. Glad I volunteered my bike. And no, I don't get any commissions from PWD.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Gary and PWD are highly recommended - Kit is very easy to install, and Customer Service has been flawless.

·
Premium Member
2,647 Posts
I swapped out the Stebel for twin Fiamms after the Stebel failed. I don't think the Stebel likes wet weather riding. Fiamms have worked flawlessly for several years, 50 000 kms. I mounted them to the interior of the front turn signal bolts. They're not as loud as the Stebel, but plenty loud enough.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all. Sounds like I need to contact Gary once he's got things squared away with his DL1000 prototype.

·
Registered
104 Posts
To clarify what Andreas mentioned, I currently provide a plug-n-play Stebel horn kit for the DL650. :var_50:

I have just recently completed a prototype for the DL1000. I am currently having components fabricated, but the DL1000 kit is not quite ready for sale. I hope to have kits available in 2-3 weeks. As with the DL650 kit, there will be a discount for Stromtrooper members when it's available. Please feel free to email me directly if you have any specific questions.

Thanks,
Gary
PWD
When and how much?

·
Registered
296 Posts
I too purchased the wee stebal horn kit and love it. It was my first farkle.

·
Registered
55 Posts
When and how much?
It has taken me a bit longer that expected to go from prototype to production, but the new DL1000 horn mounts have been sent out for anodizing and I should have them back soon. After that it will be another week or so for kit assembly and packaging. I'm hoping to have them ready to ship before the end of May.

The cost has not been determined yet, but will be slightly more than the DL650 version because the mount is more expensive to produce. The horn and the wiring harness will be the same. The first production run is small (only 50 units), so if anyone wants to be sure to get one, please email me (not PM since I don't check in here every day) and I'll put you on the waiting list and notify you when they are ready to ship. Those on the waiting list will get a coupon code for a discount. Please feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Gary

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
stay away from

I suggest everyone stay away from the guy, out of Tampa, Fl. on flebay selling Stebel "seconds" with only a blem in the finish. The horns are junk. They sound like a mouse fart. It's near impossible to get your money from these guys. It took 6 weeks and my credit card co. to get my money back. P/P was zero help, just said, "seller refuses to return your money." "case closed." Good thing I had USPS tracking #.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hey Gary

Will your kit fit with the Givi bars? The Stebel will fit in between the engine and Givis, front left, but it's really tight.

Thanks,
Gary
PWD

1 - 20 of 23 Posts