StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What happened to my original thread about my louder horn upgrade ?? I'm amazed at the number of comments I got on that, both pro and con. Keep in mind that I said I don't live on the horn - I rarely use it, but when I do I want results. The "meep meep" Roadrunner horn doesn't cut it - IMHO.

To continue, I finally finished up what should have been a quick and easy job. My back is such (spinal stenosis) that I can only hump over working on something like this for short periods of time before back tells me it's time to quit.

There was no where near as much room inside the fairings as I had thought and the install turned into somewhat of a struggle. No room to work and very awkward to reach.

Picture 1

The only place I could find with sufficient room for the front forks to clear was inside the fairing. This picture barely shows the edge of one horn. The mounting screw shows on the underside of the black fairing piece. You "must" use the flexible mounting strap and the horn can't be touching anything or it'll mute the sound.

Picture 2

This shows the final position of the horns more clearly. Both sides similar. I aimed them back and down to keep them clear of road spray in the rain. There's enuf mass there to reflect the sound forward. I mounted the relay forward, behind and between the headlights. Can't get a picture of it, but it were a beast to get installed - I have big hands.

Picture 3

When I did the in-tank fuel filter by-pass I mounted the new external filter in the position shown to make future changes simpler. I chose to wire the horns directly to the battery and the relay coil to the horn button. Works fine. I did final wiring on a freezing morning and the fuse/hot wire connector plastic cracked when I crimped it, so it got wrapped in color coded tape.

The whole thing works as expected and really gives a blast when I hit that button.

Attachments

·
Registered
482 Posts
That's the only place i could find to mount my Fiam Freeway Blasters. These were the loudest horns I could find short of air horns. I built my own harness, also wired to the battery with the relay to the horn button. I have to admit when I hit that button heads turn. I don't mess around.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Thanks for this! I got these horns at Harbor Freight a few days ago, and if I'm not still hacking up a lung (got Round 2 of this cold/flu that's been hitting everyone), I'm going to install them tomorrow.

·
Registered
15,544 Posts
I had Fiamm horns on my Beemers. I used them so seldom they would crud up and make little "meep" sounds if anything at all.
If I dismantled and cleaned them they would make a marvelous cacophony. Then I'd forget to use them again. Or maybe it was the placement of the BMW horn button and my fumble fingers.

·
Registered
306 Posts
The Fiamm style horns are available in stainless from marine supply stores. That reduces the problems of the inside rusting when used on a bike.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just ordered a set of Hella Sharp Tones for mine. That should do it.

·
38,103 Posts
Horns are model independent so this is going to the general forum.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I bought Hella 3AG Horn, Set, Amazon, £35: voted #1 loudest in previews.
They come with a warning NOT to use them inside your garage!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone8

·
Registered
453 Posts
What happened to my original thread about my louder horn upgrade ?? I'm amazed at the number of comments I got on that, both pro and con. Keep in mind that I said I don't live on the horn - I rarely use it, but when I do I want results. The "meep meep" Roadrunner horn doesn't cut it - IMHO.

To continue, I finally finished up what should have been a quick and easy job. My back is such (spinal stenosis) that I can only hump over working on something like this for short periods of time before back tells me it's time to quit.

There was no where near as much room inside the fairings as I had thought and the install turned into somewhat of a struggle. No room to work and very awkward to reach.

Picture 1

The only place I could find with sufficient room for the front forks to clear was inside the fairing. This picture barely shows the edge of one horn. The mounting screw shows on the underside of the black fairing piece. You "must" use the flexible mounting strap and the horn can't be touching anything or it'll mute the sound.

Picture 2

This shows the final position of the horns more clearly. Both sides similar. I aimed them back and down to keep them clear of road spray in the rain. There's enuf mass there to reflect the sound forward. I mounted the relay forward, behind and between the headlights. Can't get a picture of it, but it were a beast to get installed - I have big hands.

Picture 3

When I did the in-tank fuel filter by-pass I mounted the new external filter in the position shown to make future changes simpler. I chose to wire the horns directly to the battery and the relay coil to the horn button. Works fine. I did final wiring on a freezing morning and the fuse/hot wire connector plastic cracked when I crimped it, so it got wrapped in color coded tape.

The whole thing works as expected and really gives a blast when I hit that button.
Thanks! Very timely. I have my fairing and all plastics off (just finished a valve check) and am trying to install a pair of Fiamm horns on my 650. I've identified two positions in the fairings that i like (has room and is kind of protected from road gunk), but fab'ing my own brackets is a pain. I picked up some more materials and am gonna have another go at it tonight or tomorrow. When you say "You "must" use the flexible mounting strap", are you talking about something like "plumbers tape" in picture below?

Edited to add, i hate that all the places to connect inside the fairings are plastic. I'm afraid vibration is going to strip out the plastic threaded locations.

Attachments

·
38,103 Posts
The fairing has a steel frame. A grounding rod lug and bit of aluminum bar stock from Home Depot made a very solid horn mount for me.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
For those of you who installed one or two new horns, did you have to take off any bodywork to fit them in? Or were you able to do it all just reaching up from underneath? (2011 Wee here, to be specific.)

I want to put these in this week or weekend, but I don't want to spend X hours trying to install them with all the bodywork on if that's impossible.

·
Registered
306 Posts
For those of you who installed one or two new horns, did you have to take off any bodywork to fit them in? Or were you able to do it all just reaching up from underneath? (2011 Wee here, to be specific.)

I want to put these in this week or weekend, but I don't want to spend X hours trying to install them with all the bodywork on if that's impossible.

I installed one horn with the body work in place and the other after removing the plastics on one side. It's much easier and faster to do it after removing the plastics, depending on where you're installing the horns.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Knowing now exactly where they sit, it'd be fairly easy to mount them without removing panels, tho' it'd be easier with some off. Look at my original pictures and it should be fairly clear.

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
The Fiamm horns work better if they are mounted on a "flexible" mount. They come with a strap that works pretty good. They are loud, even if mounted pretty solid, but they are REALLY LOUD if allowed to vibrate a bit.
Also - use a relay when you hook them up to get the best result.
Tip: - be prepared when you test them!

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Knowing now exactly where they sit, it'd be fairly easy to mount them without removing panels, tho' it'd be easier with some off. Look at my original pictures and it should be fairly clear.
Yes, thank you for those pictures! I've printed them for my reference. :)

·
Premium Member
189 Posts

Yes, thank you for those pictures! I've printed them for my reference. :)
I see where you put your horns, but I couldn't figure out anywhere to attach them under there. What did you attach those strips/brackets to? Sorry, I'm sometimes clueless about these things.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I see where you put your horns, but I couldn't figure out anywhere to attach them under there. What did you attach those strips/brackets to? Sorry, I'm sometimes clueless about these things.
2 flexible metal straps, about 1"x3", came with the horns and I used those to mount them. In my 1st picture, looking up from underneath, I drilled a hole in each side of the black plastic fill piece to mount the horn strap. Put a strap with the bolt finger tight on a horn and hold it down in there and you'll quickly see the only practical place to mount it. I used large washers on each side of the plastic to spread the stress and hopefully avoid cracking. It must be free to flex and it cannot touch anything else or sound will suffer.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts