StromTrooper banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, drained all my coolant (while getting real shelby's new clutch basket installed), on 02 DL1000. I'm getting ready to put everything back together, and was reading the procedure for refilling the coolant. Says to pour slow, drain air out of bolt on housing, top off, and then run without the cap on. Is this correct (running without the cap on)? I ask because I did this once on a Honda ST, and as soon as I started it..coolant went flying EVERYWHERE! My garage ceiling walls, etc, were covered in coolant...I really don't want to go through this again!

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Fill the coolant to the top of the radiator. Loosen the drain bolt it will probably hiss and then a bit of fluid will come out. Then loosen the bolt on the top middle of the water pump. (it has a ten mm head I believe with a sealing type washer) It may hiss some too. Then top off your radiator and over flow bottle to the high mark. Take it for a ride and let it warm up fully keeping an eye on the temp. Let it cool and top off your overflow bottle and you should be done. Sometimes it may take a little more in the bottle but not much. Do not run it without the cap.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app, while drinking a latte, eating a burger, driving through a school zone 20 mph over the speed limit with my feet on the wheel!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts