StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After looking through various bikes, and looking at the diferences between the 2011 and 2012 of the 650, as well as knowing someone with a 1000, I had decided to get myself a 2012 DL650 to replace and upgrade from my little yamaha vstar 250 that met with a fatal chain accident (Also, only just realised I'm going from one v-something to another.. huh..)...Anyways, I am pretty damn excited about this though, looks like it's going to be an awesome bike, and perfect for me. Motorcycling had been my main mode of transport, and I love it. Needless to say, being without a bike during this rediculously warm winter has been torture. The only depressing part is that I still have another at least week, maybe two, til I can get it, apparently because of some confusion with shipping...

Meanwhile though, after being told about this site, thought I'd come here and see what info you guys can give to a new Trooper. For example, while I am mostly looking to use this guy on the paved, how good is the 650 at trekking it offroad? Because frankly that sounds like a blast, and in western Montana we have so much opportunity for it. Also, anyone got suggestions on decent covers at a good price? Where I live I don't have anywhere covered I can store it, so I will need a cover, especially since we are still in winter, and it has been showing randomly even with the current weather (It just better not be when my bike gets in so I can at least get it home...). Also any other thoughts you guys might have for me?

Anywho, that's all from me, looking forward to talking to you guys.
~Jake

·
Registered
33 Posts
Welcome!! I think you will find the Wee is a good dirt road bike. It is to heavy and low to be banging around steep rocky trails. However I use mine on county roads, Forest Service roads and even two tracks if they are dry and smooth.
I would encourage you to add crashbars and skidplate before you do much on dirt roads as I hear rocks pinging off my SW Motech skid plate whenever I'm on dirt. You will need a centerstand for chain adjustment and storage (I think its safer).
In the short run an 8 by 10 plastic tarp will work for a cover but you should buy a motorcycle condom if you are going to be parking outside all the time.
I have an 06 Wee, well farkeled and have enjoyed it for my commuting and weekend fun rides.:thumbup:

·
Vendor
5,011 Posts
Welcome Aboard Jake, Always good to hear from and meet new Vstrom owners, Your DL650 will serve you well,

Just go to Motorcycle Superstore dot com or do a quick search for them on your computer, They have a 1-800 number to call and a sales associate can guide you to the motorcycle covers,

Well priced and good quality, Keeping your new bike covered for the winter is a good idea.

BTW: does your dealer have a pick up in spring sales plan. Pay him now, they store the bike you pick it up at the end of March and your no covered or enclosed storage issues are done,

Let me know if I can ever help you out,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

·
Registered
94 Posts
I like Dowco covers. Lifetime replacement, I'm on my 2nd-all you do is call & the covers are very heavy weight. Not the ideal for a travel cover but if its your "garage" you cannot beat them. They have a vent & and a strap for wind. I never bother with the strap as they saty on anyway. I have a 99cent/ebay Chinese cover for dust cover inside.
If it's OK, how much did you pay? Seems like a lot of winter warranty to give up in Montana weather?

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Seems like a lot of winter warranty to give up in Montana weather?
Good point, that and Blair's. It might be smart to put a very substantial deposit on the bike and not accept delivery until the weather is ready to ride. (and if he sells that one and gets you another, no problem.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry I din't respond right away, been busy xP Thanks for the welcomes and the info. I know it does seem kinda silly getting a Bike I can't store inside during winter, but as we've had such a mild winter Hopefully it won't fare too bad, and on top of that I really need to be able to get around, so if the roads are safe enough to ride, then I'll be riding. it is at MSRP, but my parents are helping me out with buying. combination b-day/christmas present, since I lost use of my old bike... So I'm also not out too much. It probably would be safer to try get them to hold on to it 'til spring for me, but I both need and want it, so I'm going to have to tough it out. Definatly I know I need a good cover though. The dowco ones do look good, and I know I'm going to want something heavy duty. would one of their gardian weatherall covers be a good investment do you guys reckon. and what size would be best for the wee-strom?

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
MOTOMAN BREAK IN or at least leave the dealership with 2 oil filters and a gallon of Dino (conventional) Motorcycle oil

Change oil and filter after 25 to 50 miles regardless. Oil will come out all sparkly. Put in any conventional mc oil.

Good luck and don't let the blood rush to your head.

If you have salt on the roads don't ride unless you can rinse her off and warm her up after the ride. Corrosion on your new baby will be VERY upsetting

·
Registered
94 Posts
800# gets you bike specific fit-I still question Montana in the winter on a bike? I mean really it's pretty white here in KY right now & mine sure isn't going to get anyone anyplace soon. Gerbings & Powerlet is the other question you didn't ask...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advice, rich. Will make sure I'm set to go properly, whether by the dealer or by me. And I know it does seem like a bad idea to be riding during a Monana winter, I have been riding close to two years, I have been in Montana for several winters. I have a really fantastic Tourmaster jacket my Fiancée got me which I have ridden in last winter when the snow still hadn't come and then had left again, the cold is no bother for me, and it has been stupidly mild. I know better than to ride when it's unsafe to do so, but I need to be able to ride when I can. I do thank you guys for the advice and appreciate your concern, but I think I can handle the weather situation.

As for tacking cool bits and bobs on to my new bike, it's definatly something I will be looking into, as I want this one to be one I will hold on to for quite some time, but beyond probably getting a centrestand fairly soon, so I can work with the chain, most of that stuff will be a little more down the line. more like in summer, when I will be going on rides all over the place.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts