StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know this is gonna label me as "one of those guys" who think up stupid stuff to ask about things that prolly don't need changing. At the risk of owning that label, here goes:

I've owned my '09 Wee since 2010 and put almost 50K miles and many sets of tires on it. Tried Shinkos, BSs, Mich, Metzler, Pirelli and had pretty good luck with all of them...not counting the Shinko 712s I wasted money on. What I want to know is whether a 120/70-19 front and a 160/60-17 rear will fit without rubbing parts they shouldn't.

Why, you ask? Welp, there's a new Bridgestone tire made for "scramblers" called the Adventurecross AX41S that doesn't come--yet--in the stock Wee sizes.

Bottom line: 120/70-19 Front and 160/60-17 Rear …. Do they fit without interference issues? Anyone? :confused:

Advance warning: My next thread, I MIGHT ask an oil question.... :beatdeadhorse5: ….. …. Nah, not really.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
The 160 in the rear should be no problem. I ran a 160/70 Metzler 880 without any issues. It changes the gearing some, so you need to check for your size. Darksiders run up to 205 width, but with side clearing issues at times, depending on the actual tire dimensions. I ran a 195/55-17 on my V2 with plenty of clearance.

Can't comment on the front size.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 160 in the rear should be no problem. I ran a 160/70 Metzler 880 without any issues. It changes the gearing some, so you need to check for your size. Darksiders run up to 205 width, but with side clearing issues at times, depending on the actual tire dimensions. I ran a 195/55-17 on my V2 with plenty of clearance.

Can't comment on the front size.
Thanks! I didn't think the back would be a fit issue just by looking, but never hurts to ask. I did do some snooping around the forum last night and saw the darksider threads and the 205 reference!!! :surprise: Would have never guessed that. Acutally kind'a surprised you could run a 195/55 without fit issues, at least with respect to rim width.

The front should be OK with respect to overall diameter if the math works out: 110/80 has a sidewall height of 88 mm and a 120/70 gives 84 mm. Only the width is in question, and that should be less than 5 mm (<0.2") extra width each side.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
One other aspect to consider. My experience is that a non stock tire dimension messes with TC and ABS. Seems the computer is looking for a set ratio of front to rear rpm's and if you wander outside that they start to behave strangely, kick in for no apparent reason or turn off ABS on it's own.

·
Registered
14,166 Posts
The darkside cracks me up. I got a set of pictures of a friend digging an old Indian outd of a barn and all the tires were so car like. There wasn't much but darkside available back then.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I go 10 over the stock back tire, i hate how thin our tires are. It's not much, but it's more.

Never had an issue on any bike.

I did +10 on the front of a sportbike once, it was very stable, not as sharp in corners as stock... I could be wrong, it's been a while.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts