StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I decided it was time to drain/flush/fill radiator. I drained the system via the drain bolt on the water pump housing. An appropriate of old coolant came out.(Approx 1 Liter) I refilled the radiator with distilled water/white vinegar 50/50 mix and re-capped radiator. Started the bike an let it warm up. I was touching the side of the radiator waiting for it to get a little warm which didn't happen so I touched the water pump housing and it was VERY hot so I turned the bike off. This was about 4-5 minutes of runtime. I removed the drain bolt and a small amount of VERY hot fluid shot out and when I removed the radiator cap it drained out the hole and was not hot at all.

My question is do you think I damaged the water pump?:headbang:

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
air lock

You didn't mention bleading out the air so I expect you created an air lock.
I see no reason to put on the rad cap when you're flushing out the system,
I don't know who tough the pump is without coolant or lubrication from water or antifreeze but I expect that you have challenged yours.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
That's interesting... why a water/vinegar mix instead of the normal antifreeze?

·
Registered
61 Posts
It's only 40 years since I completed my Automotive Apprenticeship but I have never heard of using water and vinegar in a cooling system. If the maintenance was done on time and the old coolant wasn't noticeably dirty when you drained it why would you not just change it?. Bleeding the air out of any cooling system is always a must, hope you didn't do any harm to the pump if you did it will be very obvious very soon good luck

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
I'll bet you just didn't wait long enough for the thermostat to open. It takes a while if the engine is not under load. The water will get too hot to touch before that happens. I wouldn't use vinegar either. Make sure you rinse it all out. It is a low strength acetic acid.

·
Registered
249 Posts
vinegar

although I've never heard of using vinegar before, I did a short internet search; apparently the vinegar is good for 'cleaning out old gunk/rust' from the cooling system, because of it's slightly acidic properties.

however, a lot of the threads went on to say sometimes doing a 'heavy clean' of the radiator can lead to more problems than it solves; wearing down hoses/fittings/connectors/etc faster.

I suppose I'd agree if you're not having problems with the cooling system, don't bother going overboard with the maintenance.

Greywolf, do you know if the V-stroms still use 'wax' activated thermostats? Or are they all digital sensor computer driven gizmo's now?

k

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Az, the system holds about a half gallon. You need to drain the coolant tank as well as the engine and radiator, then refill all of them. This requires some disassembly of the bike to get to everything. Plain water is probably good enough for a flush unless you know you have a problem--oil contamination, corrosion, etc. Most of us don't flush if the system looks clean. Just a complete drain, then refill. If you buy a concentrate coolant, use distilled water to dilute it to the usual 50-50 blend if your local tap water contains much mineral content.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
The thermostat has no electronic connections. It's a basic device.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts